Fixes: 11

Car parking

Do you have problems with the size of parking spaces Huh

Apparently our cars are getting bigger and the spaces are staying the same size

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38048793

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
27 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Car parking

I'm no motorist, but that is no 'news' to me. Cars are getting bigger (width and height-wise), and for some reason, everyone seems to buying inherently 'big' vehicles (Range Rovers/Shogun etc.)

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, I agree,.... and the current "mini" is a fine example, of how cars have got bigger..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Morris_Mini-Minor_1959.jpg/280px-Morris_Mi...

Original size.... Length 120.2 inches  width 55.0 inches    height 53.0 inches

wheelbase 80 inches

Latest version  Length 162                width 70 inches      height    61 inches

wheelbase 102 inches

http://www.autoviva.com/img/photos/794/mini_bmw_mini_countryman_large_20794.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In my local town there's no shortage of parking spaces, but merely a surplus of poor drivers unable to park in a small gap.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

jab1 wrote:

everyone seems to buying inherently 'big' vehicles (Range Rovers/Shogun etc

Which are of course technically commercial vehicles.

The width of parking bays is my main concern. Some are so narrow that parked between two other cars, Harry Houdini would have problems.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Never thought of them as commercial vehicles, Strat, merely totally unsuited as city run-arounds.

John
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Problem is if they extend parking bays wider, they will get less cars in , so lower income
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

"...........poor drivers unable to park in a small gap"

And competent drivers unable to open the car door sufficiently enough once they have parked. Supermarkets are the worst offenders of course with spaces more suited for Munchkins. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

Garages don't seem to have been made any bigger on new builds. Both garages on my mum's and our new houses in the early 2000's were far too small as once inside you could barely open just one side even if the other was almost right against the wall.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Do people still use garages these days? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

They're just overspill storage areas as I get told by people who have them.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Of course the other problem of exit and entrance has no relation to the growth of tyres- human spare ones.Evil  Cars need to be wider to accommodate our obese selves, and slots even wider to cope with the vehicle and more so for exit and entrance. Perhaps sliding doors could be the answer and also solve careless openings.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Most of the large supermarkets in this area have large car parks and most people, as expected, park as near to the main entrance as possible but visit at the right time and there are plenty of empty spaces at the furthest points from the entrance and that's where I park, equally I never park in the end space of any row in case some fool misjudges the turn.

So far I have been lucky with no damage of note, true I have picked up the very small odd dent when parking in the multi storey car parks but with a 12 year old car it makes little difference.

Community Veteran

Hands up those who have parked another person's car in a supermarket car park because that person was unable to get their car in the gap?

Thumbs Up

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have always purchased larger cars for my private use, I have always towed caravans so I need the size and weight. My present saloon always overlaps the bay length length at longer than 16', but I'm one of those drivers who always reverses into the side by side spaces. This has the advantage (if others alongside, park nose first) that I can leave extra space by my drivers side, so both me and the car next to me get extra room to get in and out. I drop my passengers off, before reversing in. When still working, I always had a company car, which being more compact was handy to take when I would need to park in a normal bay. Now I no longer have the company car, I tend to make more use of (free) local buses, simply to avoid the struggle to park.

I always park in my garage, I built it myself and it is 12' x 24' with a 10' x 16' extension at the rear as a workshop area.