cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car number plates.

Fixes: 47

Car number plates.

I watch a police Facebook page where crime is reported daily.
I have noticed a recurring incident of vehicle number plates being stolen.
Would any number plate thieves on the forum tell me what these stolen plates are used for that couldn't be done with simple cheap forgeries avoiding the risk of getting caught stealing. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car number plates.

It is quite hard to get a fake numberplate made up these days and anyone caught making them without the appropriate paperwork could end up in jail.
Far easier to nick one off a similar car to yours, slap it on your car, steal some petrol or commit a crime then let someone else take the blame.
Community Veteran

Oh and far easier to drive around in a ""ringer" with a numberplate stolen from a car that is taxed and insured etc - far less chance of getting caught by the ANPR for having no tax or insurance on your own vehicle .....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One of my arguments for not abolishing the 'tax disc'.
All this ANPR nonsense seems to assume that number plates can't be forged or stolen.  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Quote from: DomS
It is quite hard to get a fake numberplate made up these days and anyone caught making them without the appropriate paperwork could end up in jail.

I would have thought that someone with evil intent would have contacts readily available to make up whatever was requested...no questions asked.
TORPC
Grafter

@03:00AM
Door Knocks
You get disturb from your beauty sleep
Do you own such a car with blah blah number plates
Yes, it is in the garage would you like to see it
Are you sure it has not been stolen & used in in such & such crime
Yes ocifer, as the wife parked the car in the garage herself
We would like to have a word with your wife
I would not dare you to go & wake her up, all you need to do is look in the garage & you will see the car
We really need to ask you wife to corroborate your story
I aint waking her up, plus the car is in the garage
after 20 - 30 minutes of wasted time
Ok we will look in the garage
Thank you ocifer
Yes the car is there in your garage, just like you said, however it is missing the number plate(s)
YOU WHAT, is this some kind of of belated April fool
Sorry sir it isn't, that said we have had a spate of number plate(s) go missing, we need you to come down the station to make a statement
Can't I make a statement here as I have work in a couple of hours
(See the trend here)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah.... Easy Peasy !...
Two fake coppers ( baddies dressed up ) have been "observing" your car and habits....
decide you are a right plonker and do exactly what you have just described....
Only .... they now have your number plates  in their "fake" CID un marked police car,...
You gave them permission to go to your garage and they took your plates off 
Grin Grin Grin
TORPC
Grafter

& the station is their lair, to keep you @ ransom
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Easier to drive an older rare car that few people know of or recognise. Stick in a big engine and an unpopular badge and car thieves / ringers / plate pinchers will never both you Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yes it's hard to get an unpopular car nicked.
I remember a friend who had money troubles and thought if he could get his car pinched it would help.
He left it outside a busy pub (remember them) with the keys in and had no takers. Even started up the engine and left it running outside for thirty minutes.
All he achieved was more money wasted on petrol.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

To obtain duplicate registration plates you need to provide photo id, a recent utility bill and the vehicle registration document. The trader/shop is obliged to keep a record of the identity documentation furnished by you.  If you are a crim it is far easier to steal the plates of a car similar to the one you want to mask unless you have a buddy at the DVLA or police who is willing to provide VRM's of similar vehicles.
If your plates are stolen be sure to report it immediately to the police and obtain an incident number. If you don't do that you can end up with all kinds of hassle.
Some of the thieves raid airport car parks to garner plates because the vehicles are left unattended for a couple of weeks.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PowerLee
Rising Star

There are special security screws available that make stealing number plates very difficult as they take time to remove.
You can also get anti tamper number plates that will shatter in to pieces if someone tries to forcible remove them.
I've used the security screws for my car's number plates.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: DomS

I've heard differently from someone I know who used to work in a garage, that it is quite easy and the equipment easy to get hold of. But then I don't work in a garage myself, and haven't had the need to get some fake plates done. So I have no experience in this area I admit.
Actually I still know someone who works in a garage, maybe I should give him a ring? Grin
(Note to the PC Brigade: No I haven't changed to car theft as a career, that was a joke).
PowerLee
Rising Star

Last place I worked had a number plate making machine.
Nice little side line for a couple of the lads  Lips are sealed

At the last place I worked my office overlooked the visitors car park.
One day I noticed a number plate in the car park and went down to retrieve it.
Not knowing who it belonged to I phoned the local police who told me an officer would be along to collect it.
No-one came so after a few weeks it was cut up and binned.