Ollysharp

Car insurance

I’m insured on the Mid database but not according to the Anpr why is that
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Car insurance

How should we know?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 58

I'm aware of someone very recently who's car MOT was 3 months out of date.

They were pulled over by a police car and fined.

A check on MID confirmed the worst.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I found myself in the same situation a few years back. Insured fully comp, got pulled for a 'spot check' (yeah...right) and police said I wasn't insured. All I said was "See you in court". A  letter of apology came through the door after a few days saying that no further action will be taken because they found out I was insured. The police said it was a glitch in the system and sometimes this happens. But it made me wonder how many more have been taken to court for no insurance when they have it.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Probably none assuming the motorist has a genuine policy in place.

I got tugged years ago just outside of Preston nr Blackpool. I'd setup insurance on the car earlier that day and we then took a very long drive up there to get it - this was back in the days when it still took MID 24hrs to update.

So i got tugged by a copper who was determined to nail me for no insurance. Unfortunately for him I'm kinda streetwise with that sorta thing. I knew my policy number and had a very lengthy explanation about it for him. I also have a friend who works in motor insurance and was previously an underwriter and so I had a bit of inside information about the MID and how long it takes to update etc. When i put this to plod he realised he couldn't just nick me for the hell of it as he knew i'd got smart and would make life incredibly miserable for him when my legit insurance surfaced. After a 40 minute spat in the back of a police 4x4 BMW he released me to continue on my journey.

I did wonder though how many others had been arrested in similar circumstances and got themselves a police record through no fault of their own. The MID is now supposed to update within 5 or so minutes the last I heard, maybe even instant now however some insurers still make blunders and get a digit wrong etc.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

Ollysharp wrote:
I’m insured on the Mid database but not according to the Anpr why is that

Stupid question, I know, but if you are insured, have you got the paperwork to prove it?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@jab1

My insurance companies, like many other companies try to force you to have e-documents.

Of course they pretend it is to help save the environment and planet, when the actual ulterior motive is to save them money.

My one was cheeky, I am sure I didn't get an option as they sent me my policy via e-mail and had I had a choice I would have asked for a paper copy.

Trouble is (IANAL and all that), I would prefer an original document than one I had printed off from the internet. An original one from the company would hold more weight wouldn't it?

jab1
All Star

@Alex I know about the e-document thing, but I don't see that as a 'bad' idea, personally. My house insurance, power bills, council tax are all e-documents, all (relatively) safely stored online and easy to access,instead of taking up room in a physical file, maybe in the wrong section Smiley

It's easy enough to print a copy, and from my limited experience, they are as acceptable as a paper copy from the original source, who have, after all, just printed them from a computer.

John
Community Veteran

Yes of course it easy to print them off.

For things like bills where you just pay them and the company goes away, they doesn't nag you until the next quarter. I don't mind.

Others, where you might need to present written proof you have it (house and car insurance) I would rather have a paper copy.

jab1
All Star

Understand what you are saying, @Alex, but in that case, just print yourself a copy.Smiley

In many cases, the company WILL provide a printed bill, but from my experience, it comes as an added cost. My mum (87 y.o.), likes bills through the post, and costs herself about £40.00 p.a. for the privilege, even though I've offered to print them for her.

John
Community Veteran

I understand what you're saying too @jab1

Your mum, like mine was bought up in a pre-internet era where you had paper bills, no direct debits and usually had to post them a cheque. In those days when bank branches were still open go there any pay them too.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Pete11 wrote:

I found myself in the same situation a few years back. Insured fully comp, got pulled for a 'spot check' (yeah...right) and police said I wasn't insured. All I said was "See you in court". A  letter of apology came through the door after a few days saying that no further action will be taken because they found out I was insured. The police said it was a glitch in the system and sometimes this happens. But it made me wonder how many more have been taken to court for no insurance when they have it.

I thought that if stopped by the police and they claim you have no insurance and no one else in the car has cover to drive they will not allow you to continue your journey, to allow you to do so would be illegal.

I know you did have insurance but the point is the police thought otherwise so I cannot understand how you were allowed to continue your journey.

There have been similar cases where the police have refused to allow a car driver to continue until they have produced evidence of being insured, the problem in most cases is update of the data base used by the police and others.

Always best to check the database yourself to avoid such problems.

Community Veteran

Yes I agree @gleneagles, I don't see why they let @Pete11 continue.

Even though that person did nothing wrong.

Yes I have seen too many police programmes, but they should have asked you who are insured by. You'd know as you pay them - couldn't they just call them check your details and your vehicle registration number and the insurance company would just say "Yes we know this person, policy is valid and they are insured". Roll eyes

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I was surprised myself, but I did have the insurance certificate with me and showed it to the police. They more or less said that I had printed it out just to make it look like I was insured. The sergeant said I had been given 'the benefit of the doubt' and was told it would be investigated. That's when I said "See you in court". It didn't come to that because as I said in my earlier post, I received a letter saying that no further action was to be taken as during their investigation my insurance was indeed valid.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

You used to get what's called a Producer, which is a document issued at the road side by the Police that requires you to produce documentation within a set period. This can be any combination of License, Insurance, MoT etc. But with new technology I don't think there's much of a need for them now.