cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car insurance what is classed as a modification now

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Car insurance what is classed as a modification now

It's that time of year again time to look about for best deal.
Now looking closely at the insurance quotes the modification list is ENORMOUS.
Things like:
roof rack - that's a mod?
Air con
Sat nav - Huh?
Signs
Stripes - go faster anyone
Wheel trims - Huh?
Tinted windows
Parking sensors
Where do they get the ideas from?
Now for past 20 years I have NOT bothered to notify on my towbar, since it was fitted to the car when I got it. But after listing to some horror stories I thought I would scroll through the list. (see above for a short version)
Last time I had to claim the car had parking sensors (fitted by me) and a tow bar (fitted by the garage when I bought the car) neither of which I had notified them of, there was no problem with the claim then.
But FGS plastic trims are considered a modification and will increase your insurance  Crazy
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Car insurance what is classed as a modification now

From the various TV nonsense on winter tyres, fitting such tyre is classed as a modification and if you don't inform our insurers, the worm-out teams say the insurance is invalid, despite it being a sensible safety item... Huh
The worlds biggest legal scam; Insurance....
Community Veteran

Sad thing is you can't drive without it, or the other scam road tax - ROAD tax HA HA HA , be nice if it was actually spent on the road. (I know it is now called vehicle excise, but it is always road tax to me)
Fixes: 47

Wasn't there some mention in the last budget of more VED to be spent on the road network?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yea more meaning over 1%?
Fixes: 47

We have a 5 year wait for it but....
2.146 Creating a Roads Fund – From 2020-21 the government will spend all of the revenue
raised from VED in England on the English Strategic Road Network.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/443232/50325_Summer_Budget...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
PowerLee
Rising Star

Been with Admiral 7 or 8 years now, no other insurance company ever gets near the Admiral renewal quote every year.
Admiral don't seem to mind modifications either for us older drivers, as long as there informed.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
From the various TV nonsense on winter tyres, fitting such tyre is classed as a modification

Probably depends on your insurer, mine used to many years ago. I even had to phone them twice a year at changeover, no charges involved.
I now have a separate set of winter wheels and tyres and they have upgraded their processes to be more sensible.
My policy now notes that I have winter wheels and tyres "FOR SEASONAL USE" and I no longer need to tell them when I swap over.
As they are a valuable item that is stored off the car it's reasonable that they know. No extra premium though.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We ordered a new Seat Ibiza from the local dealer. It had all the toys, apart from factory fitted rear bleepers, so I got the dealer to fit them (they are available as an approved Seat add-on)
So because they are dealer rather than manufacturer fitted they are classed as modifications by many insurers! I therefore disclosed them when renewing (with Chaucer); they said they weren't bothered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There have been cases where someone was involved in an accident, paid for the repairs themselves and thought they did not need to inform the insurance but were honest enough to mention this when making a claim only to find it rejected.
Remember, insurance companies will use any means to get out of paying a claim.
Personally I would tell them if I used a different make of light bulb. (Just kidding) but you do need to be careful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Had fitted in both of our current cars; a front passenger disabled hoist (only the internal fittings in both cars, the actual hoist fits both). Insurance company were quite happy with that as long as they were told. It would cost £2,600 to replace it if damaged or er! stolen, so I'm happy to have it covered.
Must remember to tell them about the reverse sensors (professionally fitted) it seems.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.