cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car insurance - weird quote

Fixes: 125

Car insurance - weird quote

My renewal is due early next month so I am setting about getting some quotes on line.
First port of call is the AA.
I got a quote of £250.03 with insurance comparable to what I've already got including Legal & No-claims Protection and a voluntary excess of £250.
I then increased the voluntary excess to £500 but clicking 'Re-calculate' it changed down to £350 yet the premium increased to £258.43.
I always thought a higher excess meant a lower premium?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Car insurance - weird quote

No idea mate. For all you know they might of seen the higher excess as a indicator that you're an over confident driver and thus likely to take more risks on the road. I know someone who used to be a motor insurance underwriter and the number of silly things they take into account is incredible.
I rang up an insurer the other day about getting cover for another car and he quite clearly said to me on the phone that despite 3 claims (1 non fault, windscreen and a cancelled claim) that they wouldn't even take any of those into account and would see me with a clean record of claims. My current insurer see every stupid little thing as something to hike up my premiums by. The only reason I've not moved is that I don't have a deposit to switch to another company.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Hmmmm. this just gets stranger.
Seeing the car is comming up for 9 years old I considered TPF&T or even just TP.
Same insurer, same details yet TPF&T is £260.99 and TP a whopping £399.25 Shocked

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Something weird about that I agree. I've tried to sae by just going for TPF&T and it was just £10 cheaper per year. Needless to say for less than £1 extra a month I went fully comp but there is something weird about it.
Community Veteran

I shopped around when i got a new car recently and found Aviva came in with a very good premium and good cover.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: Mav
First port of call is the AA.
Watch the AA - just check their list of insurers - when I did one was Hastings Direct and I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole

oldjim can you enlighten me as to why.
My curent insurer is Hastings. It includes key cover. I had to make a claim for a damaged key remote about a month after taking out the policy. It was dealt with swiftly and satisfactorily.
Previously, I had insurance with the AA and it's nearly always been Groupama
Out of interest do others find the comparison sites useful?
It seems that the list doesn't always include everything I have requested and then I still have to go to each insurer's site to change what I want and get a requote.
Well, at least I don't have to put all my details in each time

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
I rang up an insurer the other day about getting cover for another car and he quite clearly said to me on the phone that despite 3 claims (1 non fault, windscreen and a cancelled claim) that they wouldn't even take any of those into account and would see me with a clean record of claims. My current insurer see every stupid little thing as something to hike up my premiums by. The only reason I've not moved is that I don't have a deposit to switch to another company.

I would have thought you still have full NCD with your current provided. There is a difference between NCD and what claims/incidents that are taken into account to calculate your premiums. I know that when I was shopping around a few years ago with full NCD but with 2 windscreen claims the premiums were increased in all cases but not if it was only one windscreen claim.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

itsme
Grafter

I shopped around a few weeks ago, in fact the new policy kicked in today. I changed from Swiftcover to LV. You never know how good an insurance is until you have to make a claim but LV came second in the Which poll. NFU come first (National Farmers Union).
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: Sprite

I would have thought you still have full NCD with your current provided. There is a difference between NCD and what claims/incidents that are taken into account to calculate your premiums. I know that when I was shopping around a few years ago with full NCD but with 2 windscreen claims the premiums were increased in all cases but not if it was only one windscreen claim.

I now have my full NCD back yes but the company I'm with still look at windscreen and non fault claims. Sure technically I've had no fault claims but they still seem to see me as a higher risk. Needless to say I now keep a spare windscreen in the shed (removed it from a scrap car with some tools from ebay).
Community Veteran

@itsme, you are right, you never know how good a company is until you have to make a claim.  Shortly after joining Aviva I had my car written off.  Within 2 days they ordered a new one for me and I was delighted with their service.
itsme
Grafter

Which scores are
1    NFU mutual 83%
2    LV 75%
23  Aviva 59%
There is a large lead by NFU.
Edit: But Which  customer claims satisfaction has Aviva in 5th place with LV first.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav

Out of interest do others find the comparison sites useful?
It seems that the list doesn't always include everything I have requested and then I still have to go to each insurer's site to change what I want and get a requote.

Comparison sites are useful as a starting point but as you have already found out some of the bolt-ons you want have to be added at additional cost.  The sites are deliberately designed to show the lowest basic cost.
Also not all companies use the comparison sites.  My company Aviva don't and I don't think Direct Line do either.
It's also worth speaking to a broker.  They have had to become more competitive in recent years.
Fixes: 47

My car insurance is not due but out of curiosity I got a couple of quotes, one from my current provider.
My current provider quoted me £280 for TPF&T. The other company quoted me £285 for fully comprehensive Roll eyes In fact they didn't have a TPF&T option.
I know where I'll be going next time. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation