cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car insurance revisited (again)

Fixes: 125

Car insurance revisited (again)

My renewal with Hastings Direct was £276.04 yet online quote for a new customer was just over £220.
I had to ring HD as they would have automatically renewed at the higher price.
We discussed the online renewal price but the agent thought it wouldn't go through as the system is designed to stop people insuring their cars twice. I thought that was a lot of bull because the dates were not overlapping.
While on the phone I attempted to purchase the online quote and it wouldn't let me - just got a message to ring them. Not happy but I managed to get him to reduce their £276.04 down to £227.64 without changing anything.
I thought that a pretty good result as it was still the cheapest of any other quote I got and included full key cover and a lower voluntary excess than last year. Probably could have reduced it even more if I upped the excess but decided not to.
All in all quite happy with the result Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Car insurance revisited (again)

Just got me renewal notice (not Hastings Direct) so had a go on a couple of comparison websites, on both Hastings Direct were cheapest though slightly different prices (something subtle about the questions they ask or the proffession options they offer), actually ended up going for their more expensive option (can't remember the name right now) as it had £0 compulsory excess and some other  minor benefits for very little extra.  Saved about £100 (25%) compared to my previous insurer's renewal quote.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Same set up with Direct Line, it was cheaper on the internet but because I already had my policy with them they would not let me renew online.
Only way to do it was to let the policy expire and after one month apply as a new customer.
Clearly no one is either going to have no car insurance for a month or go with another company and then change back to Direct Line.... Crazy.
It's all about treating new customers with the best prices and ignoring current customers on the assumption they are too busy to change to another company.
Community Veteran

So try Churchill instead - thats RBS owned just like Direct Line and uses the same computer systems (and even the same website layout but with different graphics the last time I looked!).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
So try Churchill instead - thats RBS owned just like Direct Line and uses the same computer systems (and even the same website layout but with different graphics the last time I looked!).
I Was with Churchill car insurance for a few years then decided to shop around as they could not offer me a better deal, eventually found a broker who quoted a good price which I accepted, guess what, the policy was with Churchill so I was getting their insurance cover cheaper from a third party than the price they could offer me direct !
Community Veteran

That doesn't surprise me. The RBS group are full of inconsistency.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!