cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car insurance... again...

Fixes: 125

Car insurance... again...

Just been looking at a few quotes ready for when my Zafira will be delivered later this month.
Less that £200 if I stay with the same insurer which is good. - will get around £50 refund Smiley
But what I did notice is that there was no change in premium whether it was garaged, parked on driveway or in the road as well as with/without an alarm. I found that very odd as, surely, there is a bigger perceived risk with the vehicle parked in the road as opposed to being parked within one's property.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Car insurance... again...

I also found that to have a second named driver on my insurance would make it cheaper ! The driver in question was SWMBO who has her own car and insurance cover with another company ? Odd how these companies work
Community Veteran

My partner bought another car recently so now has two temporarily. When they went to setup a new policy it came at a stupid price.. for a 1L engined car it was just £stupid. Added me to the quote and it came down by a stupid amount to a reasonable level again despite me having had a claim or two in the last few years  Crazy
I can only assume that by having extra people on the policy they think you'll be more responsible with the car as others will need to use it?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Not sure how you went about the insurance but having done the same recently I just called my insurer and asked to transfer the policy to the new car while retaining the old one temporarily until sold.
They are very used to doing this and the rate I paid was not unreasonable. They didn't even impose any limitations so with 2 named drivers on the policy we could have used both simultaneously, though we didn't.
They offered various periods (up to 3 months I think) and I actually chose 1 month but sold it privately in about 10 days and received a proportionate refund when I called to terminate. Admin charges were minimal.
Community Veteran

Yes but swmbo knows better and wants to keep the other one as a spare until deciding what to do with it in the future.
At one point there was talk of me breaking it for her to sell the engine and box so that may be why she's hanging onto it (it's not good for anything as the clutch is pretty shot).
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
wants to keep the other one as a spare

In which case it's either got to be taken off road (and SORN'ed), or insured.
Community Veteran

No it hasn't.
By the way, in case anyone else is having trouble, it's Saturday evening.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think you wil find that if you own a motor vehicle, no matter where you keep it... it has got to be insured.....  Cry
Community Veteran

From HMG site:
When you need to make a SORN
If you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (eg, you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land), you don’t have to buy a tax disc. Instead you must make a SORN.
Your vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain to make a SORN.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Which, is, in actual fact, referring to whether the vehicle is TAXED or not....
Insurance is now mandatory, if you own a vehicle...... regardless of whether it is kept on a public road, front drive, spare bit of land, or in the garage....
Fixes: 125

From www.gov.uk
The rules for insuring vehicles are called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’. They mean that if you’re the registered keeper of a vehicle it must be insured or declared as off the road (SORN).
My bold.
So the implication is that it does not have to be insured once you have declared a SORN.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kdoug007
Grafter

here  we  go ...!  my insurance  expires in  3  weeks  , had  the  quote  today ( saga)  TPF&T  £238..
IT  WAS  £182  LAST YEAR..
SO  i went on  line  ,,  have now  got  it  same  thing £151,,,
  it  didnt  take  me  too long ( haaa)  to  decide the next move,, Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
So the implication is that it does not have to be insured once you have declared a SORN.

Correct, which is why I said what I said a few posts earlier.  Wink (edited very slightly since to remove any ambiguity)
Maybe Sprite misunderstood.
Quote from: Sprite
No it hasn't.
Fixes: 47

A few years ago I missed my car's road tax date by 3 weeks as some essential repairs for the MOT had taken longer than anticipated.
When I went into the post office to tax it I had to fill in a form stating the vehicle had been off the public highway for those weeks. Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I didn't misunderstand anything. I'm just wondering does any of that apply to me or my partner?