cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car cameras

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Car cameras

We have discussed car cameras before but I wonder if they should be made compulsory .?
Normally I would be against such an idea  but looking at feedback from car users and in particular  commercial & HGV drivers many feel much safer using them.
If they were compulsory it's quite likely the number of accidents would be reduced and in particular deliberate accidents to scam insurance companies, so less accidents would not only lead to less deaths and injuries but also a potential reduction in insurance premiums.
With a camera in your car it might even make you a better driver as errors would be recorded.
Any thoughts .?
22 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: Car cameras

Yes i think that's a great idea , also if manufactures had to fit them to all new vehicles.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fully agree with new cars having them.
As an alternative new cars should have power outlets up by the rear mirror so third party ones have somewhere to plug into without having a washing line round the sunvisors and down the A pillar.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

Since moving from London, where I lived for 35 years, to Derbyshire I've now felt the need to have a car cam in my car. The driving skills are definitely lacking in this part of the world.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I know what you mean. Drivers have to be good to drive in London. Patience is something you learn to acquire very quickly Wink Wink
Fixes: 125

I'm not sure making them compulsory is a good idea. There is already too much legislation for drivers and it'd just be another cash cow as drivers start to be fined for not having one.
How about a reduction in premium for those that have cameras fitted?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I agree mav. Reductions for those who choose to have them although that does leave the poorer driver at the mercy of the richer ones in an accident. Anyway my main point is that society has gone camera crazy these days and its becoming a bit sad really.
Yes they are good at proving innocence or guilt but shouldn't we be asking ourselves what has gone so badly wrong with our society that it's dog eat dog all the time?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@7up,
What's gone wrong with society is another question, personally I think it's a combination of things such as many people are under pressure to meet targets within a set time, financial problems, domestic problems, employment problems, etc so many people are on a short fuse and as a result take it out on others either verbally or physically.
I have no idea what the answer is but the future does not look to bright.
Going back to cameras a lot more Police and other officials are using personal cameras so whilst the use of personal cameras will never be compulsory it may make others think twice before verbally or physically abusing you. I Suspect we could all think of incidents where we wish we had been able to record what someone said or did to us only to deny it later.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I have no idea what the answer is but the future does not look to bright.

I once had this conversation with a fellow cabbie a few years ago and for once, I took your stance. This guy was a mature chap who used to be an insurance manager so he had his head screwed on. Anyway when I took the silent stance and put your question to him about what the answer was he bowled me over saying that most of this countrys main problems could be sorted overnight if there was the political will power to do so. When I probed him more on this he was quite open that the playing field needs to be reset in order for those at the bottom to be given a chance and to stop those at the top destroying the country through greed.
Coming from a former financial services man, I was utterly shocked at how realistic the bloke was and this was years ago. The country has dug itself into an even bigger mess now with the poor being squeezed harder than ever causing more anti social dog eat dog behaviour.
Cameron thinks that the way to solve everything is to continue making rich people richer and forcing the poor into more impossible situations and it will not solve anything.
/derailment
Community Veteran

I doubt you will have bothered watching 'inside the commons' which was screened on BBC 2 9pm last night and the previous night.
From how things are conducted there explains a lot of why few things will ever change, if a private company conducted it's business like this it would have gone bust years ago.
Even the few genuine MP's are blocked from putting genuine proposals forward due to the school boy antics of the majority. To say they live in a bubble is certainly true and at some stage something will have to give as a greater number of people are sick to the back teeth with most of them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And .... watching, and talking about politics... on a thread about car cameras.. is....  ....  ....  "relevant "  ? ?   
seem to have got derailed on this one, somewhere.....  Huh
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
...does leave the poorer driver at the mercy of the richer ones in an accident...

Of course there's the YouTube income from posting the clips.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

but of course...... the poorer one`s, won`t have the video will they (cos they can`t afford the camera).... so making the richer one`s richer.  ( because they can afford better cars with camera )... ...
. oops  sorry.. seem to have gone a bit off topic, and political    Cheesy
Community Veteran

You rich boys are all the same Grin Grin
Community Veteran

lol  Cheesy