cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car cameras

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Car cameras

My eldest son has just presented me with an in car camera. No particular reason for the prezzie it was surplus to requirements for himself, having got it as a prezzie himself but unbeknown to the sender he already has one.
For myself, I've never considered buying one thinking the chances of being involved in any sort of video recordable insurance scam is on the low side of unlikely...but you never know I suppose. While I understand cash for crash scam accidents are on the increase, statistically they are still quite rare.
Anybody on the forum had any experience of this sort of camera, is it really a "boys toy" or a useful addition stuck to the windscreen.
The one given to me is at the cheaper end of those available.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Car cameras

You never know, you might capture something interesting - which could make you a lot of money.
Afterall, most of  the Chelyabinsk fireball was filmed by dashcams.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Got to be honest, if it records your entire journey it could be useful - especially if you enter a speed restriction without a sign and get a ticket from PC Plod!
As for accidents, unless it's a head on accident I don't really think they're of much use. For that, you need a camera facing every direction and being far back enough to record the side / end of the car in focus (Eg if you're recording the front you want the camera back a bit so it can see the entire bonnet, corners, sides (a bit) etc.
Still, you have one.. might not catch everything but its certainly better than:
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

So-called "crash for cash" scams, where people deliberately stage an accident, has become such a problem that some insurance companies will give you a discount for using a dashcam.
The broker Adrian Flux offers 15% off from some companies. Well worth a look. (No personal connection!).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

nozzer thats a good tip - thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!