cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car battery jumper pack recommendations

Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Car battery jumper pack recommendations

I’m looking to buy a battery jumper pack for the winter that’ll will jump start (up to) a 4L V8 petrol engine. Can anyone recommend a device that they’ve used or personally seen in action please.

30 REPLIES 30
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Car battery jumper pack recommendations

@Mook 

Just one question before tackling that one...  why not opt for a trickle charger for the battery? The latest smart chargers will also recondition the battery so that it's less likely to go totally flat.

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

Beware "alternative facts".

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
Community Veteran

@nozzer, this is to use when out and about and for whatever reason the battery ends up flat. I want to get the jumper pack out of the boot, kick start the engine and head home. I can then charge the battery or take it to the garage if needed.

Community Veteran

Fair enough. If the battery goes flat that quickly there might be something else amiss. It might be badly sulphated up..  that would cause that kind of thing to happen. A smart charger can rescue a battery in that condition if the battery is rescue-able.

Just in case you reconsider...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=asc_df_B00FC42HAA/?t...

I've got one and it's brilliant. Well worth the money and it prolongs the life of the battery.

The more a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it -- George Orwell.

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is set in Landing Strip, which is understood to be Great Britain in the future, a division of Oceania, a superstate that is continually at war with other superstates. Currently being organised by an American administration near you.
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 85

@Mook 

I can't recommend any as I made up my own. What you need to start your brute of an engine is a pair with decent copper plated as minimum 'crocodile' clips and as thick as possible flexible cables that are fairly short. I must confess that I keep a pair with my spare wheel. The battery seems fine but I am conscious that it's 9 years old. 

Take adverts relating to current rating with a pinch of salt, it's the voltage drop when cranking the engine that matters. The key to minimising this is really good clamps and short thick cables. If you want to stow these in the vehicle it also helps if they are flexible.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@nozzer wrote:

Fair enough. If the battery goes flat that quickly there might be something else amiss. It might be badly sulphated up..  that would cause that kind of thing to happen. A smart charger can rescue a battery in that condition if the battery is rescue-able.

Just in case you reconsider...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=asc_df_B00FC42HAA/?t...

I've got one and it's brilliant. Well worth the money and it prolongs the life of the battery.

like you I have one of these and it's excellent, Ibalways disconnect the battery before using it but not sure if that is necessary.

@Mook 

I have a different approach to this....I change my car battery every 3 years - 4 years and keep that old battery charged up, never had to do it but could use it to jump start my car if existing battery had gone flat, of course that is only of use if at home but if you were elsewhere either phone the breakdown service if in one or find a friendly motorist ( not easy) and use jump leads.

The key is to avoid the problem in the first place by checking the battery on a regular basis.

I accept this does not address the question you asked but the item you refer to is on sale in  a few places but the reviews are mixed, hence no doubt you are wanting to hear from anyone who has one

Baldrick1
Hero

@nozzer wrote:

I have had this happen. It was an old battery which started the car without any issues, no slow churning whatsoever. One day I went into a shop and came back to the car about 15 minutes later to find the battery totally dead. Hence I now carry a pair of jump leads.

I have one of your recommended chargers. I must admit to being sceptical about claims that it will rejuvinate batteries but it's great advantage as far as I am concerned is that it can be connected to the car without risking damaging the car electronics, or needing to disconnect the battery from the car. I have a mainly summer use convertible and occassionally use it to top up the battery in the winter. The other great thing about it is that it shuts down when the battery is charged so it doesn't mattery if I forget and leave it on.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles 

"like you I have one of these and it's excellent, Ibalways disconnect the battery before using it but not sure if that is necessary."

Disconnecting is a fail-safe option, but if you connect the charger between the battery +ve terminal and the chassis there shouldn't be a problem (that way round if you have -ve chassis earth). I have always done it this way without anything going wrong, but I believe the electronics in the charger are sufficiently smart to prevent any real problems occurring.

The only thing I would say about fully disconnecting is that if you have a new-ish car with displays all over the place, they often need resetting when the battery is reconnected.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I don’t make reference to any item, as that is the purpose of the post. Smiley

The vehicle in question is a 3.8L V8 Land Rover MP and when I go out I can’t be guaranteed there will be others with or around me, hence the need for a stand alone solution.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@Mook 

I bought a couple of these from Amazon, almost 3 years ago, one for myself and one to send to my brother in Sweden.

They no longer list that particular item but there are several others they do list from the same manufacturer (this one seems to be the nearest equivalent to mine), and several other makes are available.

I chose it based on Amazon reviews and price.

I tested both items on a car with a flat battery when I first got them purely to make sure they worked, which they did!

I've not had to use mine but my brother has used his successfully quite a few times, made necessary because his car doesn't get much use resulting in a flat battery (he has to park it in a public place so no chance of using a trickle charger).

Our cars don't have such a large engine as your Land Rover, but if you look at the specs on the various items some of them claim to be able start larger engines than yours. Wink

One thing to bear in mind might be the cold-starting capability of the device if you're thinking of leaving it in a vehicle on a permanent basis - you may need to warm the device using your body heat if temperatures are sub-zero.

Community Veteran

Thanks @RobPN I had a look at your link and but went for this version as there was a £15 discount with it so I only paid 54.99 for it.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion

Well spotted!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

@Mook   that looks an interesting piece of kit...  neat and natty.... !..

Did you read this small print, though  ?  

2. It's not suitable for charging electronic devices with 12V/16V/19V output (Only 5V-2.4A output),and the USB port is not compatible with Galaxy Tab S2/Blackberry 9900/Disney M7007/Google Nexus 6p/Google Nexus7.

Just thought I`d let you know  !! ! !  ! ...

RobPN
Seasoned Champion

@Mook 

Before I purchased mine I'd noticed comment/s in the Amazon reviews which stated that the printed instructions for connecting the device to a car battery to make a jump start possible were incorrect.  Someone, possibly the supplier or manufacturer, then posted the correct procedure which at the time I made a mental note of (now forgotten!).  I can't check because the item is no longer listed and it's details have disappeared from Amazon, but it wasn't anything complicated!

Anyways, at the time because I'd already read that the instructions were wrong I never bothered to read them.

A quick search found this video with the correct procedure for mine and an explanation, but I think things may have changed anyway for the newer models.

After watching the video I decided to read my instructions to see what they say.  As it happens the text part gives the wrong method, but oddly the step by step diagrams which follow give the correct method!  Probably lost in translation!

Basically the correct method is to connect the special 'intelligent' plug-in leads to the unit before connecting the clips to the car battery (whilst the incorrect text says to connect the clips to the car battery before plugging in to the unit).

Hopefully your instructions will be correct, and probably different anyway!

Baldrick1
Hero

@Mook 

I was obviously thinking you wanted simple jump leads to link onto another car.

These devices look interesting but it occurs to me that this is another battery that will probably need to be recharged from time to time regardless of whether it has been used. I guess it's a bit like remembering to check the air pressure in a spare wheel. I personally wonder whether it might be worth putting the cost towards the price of a new battery for the vehicle instead.