cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car air intake

itsme
Grafter

Car air intake

With all the heavy rain and flooding do you know where your car air intake is?
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Car air intake

Yes because last year I had a drainage pipe blockage causing water to end up in the foot-well.
I thought it was a heater matrix leak at first but upon lifting the plastic grill just in front of the windscreen I could see the source of the problem and cleaned some leaves out.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes. At the top behind a headlight.. where it then goes down through the air filter, round at the bottom (where water could probably seep in) and back up to the throttle body.
Would I risk it through a big puddle? No.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Just out of curiosity which air intake are we talking about....the air intake for the car interior or the air intake for the engine. Undecided
On my car the engine air intake is immediately behind the radiator so if I went through a flood say half way up the wheels and a car came past the other way the wash could drown my engine.
Never happened so far Smiley
itsme
Grafter

[quote=http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/Driving_emergencies/Floods.htm]It's also worth checking where the air intake is on your engine. If water is sucked into the engine it will stall, but worse than this, it can cause severe damage that will require the engine to be stripped down in order to bring it back to life. Do not try to restart an engine that has sucked in water - the plugs or injectors should first be removed to allow the water to be expelled.
Few years ago a work colleague wrote an engine off when water was sucked up going through a flood.

Ouch!....Water doesn't compress quite as much as air does it Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pedant mode on/
Water is incompressible (like most liquids) hence its use in some hydraulic systems (water was used in the turret turning gear in battleships etc. as it is non-flammable if pipework is damaged)
Air is compressible, hence "compressed air" er! in lots of things...
Pedant mode off/
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

used to be one of my tasks to check the wading capabilities  of various vehicles.
the worst (most expensive) was a Ford transcontinental with a prototype large stroke engine.  The component engineer said it will be OK, its designed to go through that - we usually put some form of protection  any way pass one of the not full trough - bang one very hydrauliced engine with bent push rods
another stupidity was on a diesel transit, the cooling/ air intake, engine teams all argued.  the air cleaner intake used to be on top or the rocker cover and waded with no problem, then unknown to us the engine team wanted cool  air into the engine, so put through a change and retrunked the inlet down the side and between the headlight and radiator, wouldnt even go through one foot of water,  then a big joint investigation and gotr an air vent out of the top of the LH front wing
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Above door!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ultra Pedant Mode on/
Oh but you can compress it. http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae15.cfm
Ultra Pedant Mode off/
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Early Reanualt Scenics got a right slating whne people discovered they couldn't safely cross fords and similar due to their 'bottom breathing' design.  I can't remember which TV programme this was on at the time, I think these had the engine air inlet close to the bottom of the radiator, and many were diesels which are all the more susceptible to hydraulic lock.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

I knew someone who drove his diesel too fast through a flooded ford, sucked in water and wrote off engine when it hydrauliced.
I was wincing at speeds some vehicles went through flood water on Anglia & Look East yesterday.

It's easy to imagine the damage that can occur......a lot of fast moving metal parts brought to a sudden stop Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Not something I'd be keen to risk. I know a bloke who bought a brand new car years ago. Within the first month his wife had written off the engine going through deep water. The warranty didn't cover it so he had to stump up the cost of another brand new engine (plus all the other bits) and he said he was never the same again and he always had the same repeated troubles at the same intervals throughout its life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Did they try claiming on the car insurance? I was surprised that the insurance company paid for the engine that my work colleague wrote off. But when you think about it it's not different then driving into a wall.