Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Windscreen Rain Repellent

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Car Windscreen Rain Repellent

Anyone have any experience of Car Windscreen Rain Repellents ?
Popped into Halfords yesterday, and the assistant told me of a motorist who's windscreen wipers packed in, but the Rain Repellent meant that at Motorway speeds, the rain just flew off the windscreen, over the top of the car.
Not many motorways near here though !
I applied some the other day...
The smearing in particular is a bad side effect. Even just for a second or so.
Not really suitable for 30mph - 50mph driving I suspect.
I've Autoglym Screen Polished the windscreen with their Glass Polish, which has reduced the smearing effect somewhat, perhaps another go later on...
As I have Automatic Wipers on the car, I don't really think I need rain repellent, especially local low speed driving.
The Wipers are excellent at dispersing small rain droplets, and of course vary the wiping action depending on the amount of droplets.
And when it's really chucking it down, maximum wiping speed occurs.
A review I looked at...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/65649/rain-repellents-reviews-2013-group-test
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car Windscreen Rain Repellent

Look for Gtechniq on Google and Youtube, that company has various products, on youtube you can see how well it works, I plan to try the water repellent on my windscreen one day.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

+1 for Gtechniq
Those rain repellent's listed by Autoexpress will last 5 minutes.
Gtechniq will last for up to 2 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use a small amount of washing up liquid in my windscreen washer water.... the wipers do the rest..... ! ...  can`t understand the need to spend a fortune on "repellent" and as for "polishing the windscreen"  absolute no no.... The polished surface will smear as the wipers run across it,... also the wipers will collect a small amount of wax deposit on the edge of the blade and it will be a devil to stop smearing, especially if there is road dirt, containing particles of exhaust/diesel/petrol/oil ..... what a lovely mixture to spread across the glass....
the glass should be properly cleaned, and dried off with kitchen towel... ( likewise the wiper blades )...
Using washing up liquid dissipates any greasy content from the road dust/dirt/spray ....
PowerLee
Rising Star

You shouldn't really use household washing up liquid for car windscreen washers.
The washing up liquid over time encourages mould growth inside the washer bottle, I've just had a Fiesta one apart where the washer pump intake filter was completely clogged up with mould stopping the washers working.
Community Veteran

Been using it on various cars for 50 years, and never had a problem..........except putting too much in, and having a bubble bath !...
The present car I have had for 10 years and no problem....... but... then again... It IS a SKODA .... not a Ford  Festa  Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

A good reputable screen wash with antifreeze, set @ the right ratio for the weather, should suffice
However it also pays to clean the rest of the windscreen where the wipers miss as no to build up dirt on the blades
I use a drop of vinegar in warm water with a terry towelling cloth, @least once a month or sooner if required for the rubber blades (which I find helps them last longer) thus saving costs) Wink
Community Veteran

You can't put a price on safety - a decent rain repellent is a must have
Gtechniq 'Smart Glass' works wonder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZWMdWgleiQ
TORPC
Grafter

In all the years of driving I have never had an accident / ding or prang caused by the rain or by any other means tbh
However from a safety aspect I always keep the windscreen / mirrors & all other window(s) clean (plus it also prevents the causing of headaches / eye strain etc)
On long journeys I have been known to wash the windows in the services
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
as for "polishing the windscreen"   absolute no no.... The polished surface will smear as the wipers run across it,... also the wipers will collect a small amount of wax deposit on the edge of the blade and it will be a devil to stop smearing, especially if there is road dirt, containing particles of exhaust/diesel/petrol/oil ..... what a lovely mixture to spread across the glass....

Thanks for your concern and valued input...
Autoglym Glass Polish is actually a bit of a misnomer, as it doesn't actually contain any polish, wax or other similar substances.
I think the word Polish is more of a verb than a noun.
Details here..
Car Glass Polish is Autoglym’s most powerful glass cleaner.
This deep cleaning cream, safely removes road grime, water marks, insects remains, tree sap, oil, grease and bird droppings from glass without marking or scratching.
Car Glass Polish is specially formulated to reduce misting and ensure increased visibility of your windscreen.
The polish can be used on interior and exterior glass. If your windows are Perspex, acrylic or plastic use Fast Glass instead.
Pro Tip: Clean your wiper blades with Car Glass Polish to remove any dirt or grime.

It is great at removing all of the above, a bit expensive, but well worth it for the excellent job it does.
I keep checking to see if my car windows are open when I park !!
http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/car-glass-polish
It is also extremely good on House Windows too.
As mentioned above...
Quote from: PlusComUK

As I have Automatic Wipers on the car, I don't really think I need rain repellent, especially local low speed driving.
The Wipers are excellent at dispersing small rain droplets, and of course vary the wiping action depending on the amount of droplets.
And when it's really chucking it down, maximum wiping speed occurs.

Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
You can't put a price on safety - a decent rain repellent is a must have
Gtechniq 'Smart Glass' works wonder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZWMdWgleiQ

If that were true,.... then... carrying, and having installed. the "Gtechniq` Smart Glass` in/on every road vehicle would become part of the M.O.T. test    ( as is having water in your washer bottle, and working washers and wipers )....
Community Veteran

There are many things that could be introduced that could improve road safety - but the MOT is about motor worthiness.
Community Veteran

Which,.... despite our loathing of it..... has...indeed... improved road safety...
Community Veteran

I've used Rainx in the past.
Even used it a shower screen in the bathroom!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: TORPC
A good reputable screen wash with antifreeze, set @ the right ratio for the weather, should suffice
However it also pays to clean the rest of the windscreen where the wipers miss as no to build up dirt on the blades
I use a drop of vinegar in warm water with a terry towelling cloth, @least once a month or sooner if required for the rubber blades (which I find helps them last longer) thus saving costs) Wink
Screen wash with antifreeze, absolutely correct....... I Learned the hard way one frosty morning  when the standard mix froze solid so in effect no screen wash and having to stop every few miles to clear the muck off the windscreen thrown up by other drivers but one warning do not use anti freeze that goes in the radiator as it will damage car paintwork  use one of the better known brands of screen wash with antifreeze