Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car - USB chargers/adaptors

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Car - USB chargers/adaptors

I've miss laid my sat nav cigarette lighter - usb adaptor so looked at buying another. I then thought actually I could get a double or triple so I can charge my tablet or phone too but I'm not sure if they vary. Would one be OK to use on other devices or would each device require it's own more appropriate adaptor?

I do know mains chargers vary but I don't understand wiggley amps very well.

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car - USB chargers/adaptors

I use a double in my car. Occasionally we've had both in use without a problem charging an iPhone and powering the car's "crash camera"!

I bought mine on eBay for £2.95 from a Chinese outfit!

Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 47

I've tried a few adaptors over the last few years and found cheap ones unable to charge my phone while it was being used as a sat-nav.

I ended up with this one which has performed very well, powering my phone and two tablets.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Most of the cheap doubles will have a split charge (2A/1A) so make sure you plug the right one in the right socket, for best performance.
I added a double in a socket (looks like a normal ciggy lighter until you lift the cover) in my car so I could charge stuff while on the go and leave the ciggy one for anything else.
Bit like this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrvial-DC-12-32V-Waterproof-Universal-Car-Charger-Vehicle-Dual-U...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Strat wrote:

I've tried a few adaptors over the last few years and found cheap ones unable to charge my phone while it was being used as a sat-nav.

You also need a usb wire that can carry the amount of juice the device needs. I have a really [-Censored-] one in our car and while it will slowly recharge it, it is extremely slow compared to the mains charger and correct cable. MY 12v to usb adapter is rated at 2A so that should be more than capable considering my mains charger is rated at half of that!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

That's why I did this.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation