cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Tax new rules query

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Car Tax new rules query

Looking to buy another car.....  second hand... possibly from a main dealer, or reputable(?) garage !...
As I understand the new rules.... car tax will only be "issued" to the new owner..... so... does this mean you can`t "negotiate" with the dealer to have 6 months tax "thrown in" ?  and how about the insurance side? 
My ( and I guess, most other car insurance policies) policy says I can drive any car "not owned" by me..... so if I go and buy another car.... ( and dump my old one on the dealer as PX or gifted ! ! >..) I will have to arrange insurance at time of purchase..... as well as car tax..... how does this work on Sundays?
My previous purchase.  the garage gave the car a New Mot.... 6 months tax... and 7 days insurance cover ,... as part of the deal.... presumably, this sort of deal is not defunct...
Any comments? ( knowlegeable type... of course )....
65 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Car Tax new rules query

I can only answer part of that question regarding the Insurance.
Purchased a car privately some distance from my own home with my own car  going as part payment, phoned my insurance company which was on a Saturday afternoon only to be told the Office is closed Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday and Bank Holidays.
The person I spoke to said he was there to take and deal with any calls regarding accidents  but nothing else and advised me to phone on Monday.
I Will leave you to guess what I did but let's say I did not need to make a second journey.
Smiley
Community Veteran

yeah.... I understand... hence my query.... typical for me... if I did that sort of thing... I would have some minor ( or possibly major ) accident... or get pulled over by the plod... never happened in 50 years of driving... but... as the saying goes.... always a first time...... !
itsme
Grafter

Keep forgetting to ask my friend, who have dealerships with 2 main car manufacturers, specifically on who will tax the car and about throwing in the tax as part of the deal.
Playing squash tomorrow lunchtime with him so will be able to supply an answer in the afternoon.
Community Veteran

OK... hope that you don`t get squashed !  and forget ..... again ! ..
Fixes: 104

according to this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/350422/Vehicle_tax_changes... you might get tax from a dealer, they can tax it in your name and pay - but it can't be transferred.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

One of the replies was " or ask the dealer to tax it for you"
Community Veteran

Dvorak.... Thanks for the linky....  I read nearly all of it.... and as itsme says... one of the replies is that the dealer can apply for the tax, in the new owners name.... however... it will still need the new owner, to ensure that the vehicle is insured !... which is nowt to do with the DVLA of course ! ! ..
Community Veteran

But you can't tax a vehicle without it being insured though as the databases are linked.
Not sure what dealers do about this if they are taxing it - new cars require you to provide a copy of an insurance certificate.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

You can usually get your insurance on the new car to start before the old car insurance ends.  Last time I changed cars the new car insurance started a week before the old one ended, so I had plenty of time to get the (electronic) insurance certificate to the car dealer for him to tax the car.  It should be even easier under the new rules as the certificate won't be needed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Actually you don't need insurance to tax the car  - from the link above
Wayne Stephens: 
DVLA no longer checks insurance for GB drivers at the point of licensing. However, it is a legal requirement that all drivers must be insured to drive.
Community Veteran

I couldn't re-tax my car for the end of this month online until I had renewed my insurance - the DVLA website kept throwing up an error.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Like-wise back in February the Post Office wouldn't tax my new car (changing from Motobility) without an insurance certificate, hence why I needed the week overlap in insurance.  The insurance company didn't have a problem with it, and it didn't cost me any more to have both cars insured.
itsme
Grafter

At the Post Office
Go to your local Post Office. You'll need to take:
    completed V11 reminder (or your V5C)
    MOT test certificate if required (must be valid when the tax disc starts)
    the payment shown on the reminder
Fixes: 104

Quote from: AndyH
I couldn't re-tax my car for the end of this month online until I had renewed my insurance - the DVLA website kept throwing up an error.

Did you try the beta site? It only checked for an MOT in August.
Will Moderate For Thanks