cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Tax evasion up.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Car Tax evasion up.

Since the car tax disc was scrapped, tax evasion on car vehicle excise duty has tripled according to a BBC report.   Back in the 1970s I worked on one version of these proposals at the DVLC.  One of the major problems our team listed was "VED evasion will increase substantially unless VED is abolished and moved to a fuel tax."  It was predicted!

This time around the latest set of Whitehall Mandarins thought they'd save money on the DVLA operating costs.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
15 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Car Tax evasion up.

Is anyone surprised ?   Nope

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 47

AlaricAdair wrote:

unless VED is abolished and moved to a fuel tax."

I've given voice to that proposal a number of times in the past but I now realise the futility of my efforts as the option is far too obvious to be taken seriously.

You can run a car without a tax disc but you can't run it without fuel.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The only problem with having the tax applied to fuel is you'd have to issue tax exemption for using the fuels in things like strimmers, chainsaws, mowers, generators and other petrol (or diesel)-powered tools that would never be used on the road, an idea for that would be reintroduction of Red Petrol, but, I don't see much likelihood of petrol stations offering a single pump just for small amounts of fuel bought in a 5L can every now and then...

Community Veteran

There is a fuel you can buy specifically for mowers, called Alkylate petrol, such as Aspen which is sold in 5 litre containers. Stihl do a similar version. It could be given a special tax treatment. It's price would ensure that motorists do not cheat.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
JayG
Aspiring Pro

I wouldn't welcome excise duty being replaced by fuel tax because I'm lucky enough to own a zero-rated 2014 car, which stays zero rated as long as I remain the owner (yes, the arrangement was far too good to last and it hasn't! Roll eyes)

Still have to go through the motions of 'taxing' it every year though, and if I didn't would presumably run the risk of being prosecuted even though I wouldn't have actually evaded payment.

Wonder how much time and resources the authorities spend cross checking number plates for compliance with VED (and insurance and MOT too...)

Community Veteran

When this first came in I don't think there was a single person on this forum that didn't expect this to happen.

So much for the trumpeted expected savings of ten million.

A classic case of we're in charge and we know better than you common oinks.

I bet not a single person will get sacked or demoted.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

JayG wrote:

I wouldn't welcome excise duty being replaced by fuel tax because I'm lucky enough to own a zero-rated 2014 car, which stays zero rated as long as I remain the owner (yes, the arrangement was far too good to last and it hasn't! Roll eyes)

Still have to go through the motions of 'taxing' it every year though, and if I didn't would presumably run the risk of being prosecuted even though I wouldn't have actually evaded payment.

Wonder how much time and resources the authorities spend cross checking number plates for compliance with VED (and insurance and MOT too...)

The police are not much interested in whether a vehicle is taxed or not, they see it as not their problem. They are a little more interested in uninsured and no MOT.

The only way they can catch you is with the APN system, via a purge, or if a driver is pulled for some other offence.

You can check the tax and MOT status at   https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

You can check the insurance status at https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

I use  both regularly and find there are lots of illegal vehicles on the road. One of the worst culprits is the scrap collectors who drive around the streets - not a matter of finding the illegal ones, rather you would be lucky to find a single one which was legal.

It does make me wonder why I bother spending the hundreds of pounds I spend each year, when so many just get away with it? Buy a car, don't bother with registering it and no need for tax, MOT or insurance - chances of getting caught near nil.

Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

There is a fuel you can buy specifically for mowers, called Alkylate petrol, such as Aspen which is sold in 5 litre containers. Stihl do a similar version. It could be given a special tax treatment. It's price would ensure that motorists do not cheat.

I've seen that Aspen fuel, and the price charged for the stuff just brings up a case of "hahahahaha No.", it's bad enough trying to find Paraffin that isn't priced more per Litre than Diesel, but that Aspen stuff takes the biscuit, one source I've seen wants £3.60/L, which in terms of "cost effectiveness" (compared to my local Esso's present £1.21.9/L) is just laughable, I may aswell just buy cheap vodka and run things off that!!! Crazy2

I'd prefer the Red Petrol system myself, like Red Diesel, anyone caught using it on the road illegally would be given the same treatment as for using Red Diesel, and with the Red fuel being cheaper than the Road fuel, it'd be a lot more fair on those who don't use it for road-going purposes...

Heck, it's bad enough we have to put up with ethanol poisoned fuel which damages fuel lines and carburettors on small engines, don't make us non-road users suffer just to be able to use our tools...

Community Veteran

I saw a van with a pole and a camera on it driving around my area a few days back.

The wording was something like "DVLA Traffic Enforcement". Which is more like "DVLA clamping non-taxed vehicles".

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

The DVLA has a page you can check road tax Thumbs Up 

But like me if you see a odd car parked outside not moved for a week , you can report it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  what action did thy take  ?

NOWT !!!

Eventually i saw a PC and asked him for advice he did a check over the radio , not even a registerd keeper it was towed away within the hour

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Doesn't the insurance database (askMID?) have some kind of checkbox where you confirm you're only checking your own vehicle?

Yeah right.

It is like when you check an alcohol company's website. You have to prove you are over 18 by putting in your birthday via entering your birthday. So if you are it says yes, if not no.

My friend who worked on those sites said it was a government thing they have to implment.

What a great idea, I am sure many under 18's couldn't manage to pick 1 day, 1 month, lowest numbered year.

P.S. My birthday is on the 1st of January 1930 Tongue

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But the question is why ?

I thought half the country was covered by ANPR cameras so if the number is picked up and the vehicle is not taxed then who owns it ?

All cars are registered to someone and if sold then details of the new owner are registered then they should be responsible for the road tax irrespective of who is driving unless the car has been reported or stolen.

Any untaxed vehicle should be seized and scrapped plus a fine for the owner unless he can show exceptional circumstances which prevented him from taxing the car or getting someone else to tax the car.

Forgetting to do it would not be an excuse.

Community Veteran

Good question @gleneagles

Even being in London you'd think that, maybe not round my way.

I am sure the Congestion Tax cameras, apart from the extortion money TfL want for doing nothing, must cross reference your registration number via the DVLA too.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Any untaxed vehicle should be seized and scrapped

That's probably the problem. Apart from the people picking up the car or the scrapyard no one else is making any money out of this. And if the police get actively involved that's another bill for the taxpayer.

At the "cheap end" of illegal activities the taxpayer usually gets billed at both ends.