cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Stripping

Fixes: 47

Car Stripping

Anyone owning a Vauxhall car and living in the Luton area beware.
This is crazy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33348506
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Car Stripping

Not surprised.
The cost of most spare parts for cars is daft as anyone who has needed to purchase an original car part will confirm.
Not sure why they have picked on this model, has it got a low front bumper ?
A curb could be enough to smash it ? Just a thought.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They pick on Vauxhall Corsas and Astras because that's what 'most' people drive in the Luton area (around the old Vauhall factory there was strong brand loyalty for what was the area's major employer), there's also, presumably, a lot of unemployed people very familiar with the construction of these models.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Perhaps the Vauxhall factory in Luton is running low on spare parts.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

They only make vans now (since 2002).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My previous car was a Vauxhall. It lasted 15 years, but the batteries were expensive and lasted at the most 18 months. Vauxhall had decided on a weird side screw terminal on the battery, so apart from the last couple of years I had to buy "genuine Vauxhall" replacement batteries circa £140 depending on the phase of the moon. Changing the battery was a garage job entailing the removal of struts.
Maybe the raiders in the DM article are taking the front end off to get at the battery.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Strange crime that one.. but you have to wonder is it that the parts are being nicked for spares / rebuilds.. OR are they being nicked to generate work for the body shops in the area?
The latter seems so unlikely / unplausible you'd never suspect it.. and thats often what criminals rely on.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If vauxhalls are the targets, buy Honda instead... Grin
PowerLee
Rising Star

It will be a criminal gang that has spotted a gap in the market plus an easy target to concentrate on.
I remember many years ago the old Rover 200 / 400 where being targeted by criminals as they had seen a gap in the market for used parts supply.
Apparently they built a small device to take advantage of a hidden diagnostic socket on the car ( up inside the drivers wheel arch ) for the security system which allowed them to unlock the car including turning off the alarm & immobiliser ( pre transponder key days )
IIRC they could have a car away in around a minute, they always did forecourts as they wouldn't be missed until next morning & they always stuck a tax disc in the screen so as not to arouse Police suspicion if they drove pass one on the way back to base ( pre ANPR days )
Im sure the reason they got caught was people living nearby got suspicious of seeing lots of different Rover cars driving in to a industrial unit but never seeing them leave.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
My previous car was a Vauxhall. It lasted 15 years, but the batteries were expensive and lasted at the most 18 months. Vauxhall had decided on a weird side screw terminal on the battery, so apart from the last couple of years I had to buy "genuine Vauxhall" replacement batteries circa £140 depending on the phase of the moon. Changing the battery was a garage job entailing the removal of struts.
Maybe the raiders in the DM article are taking the front end off to get at the battery.
£140, no way would I be paying that. There must be some way the - and + leads could be changed to accommodate a standard battery.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Could always solder on some standard battery clamps on to the original leads to allow a normal / standard battery to be fitted.
Would need to find someone with high powered soldering equipment / a blow lamp.
Most forklift engineers OR traction battery engineers would have access to that type of equipment  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Organized crime..... rob the bits of existing cars.... bung them in a container.... send off to Poland... ( or some other country ).... then set up and import company to bring them back into the UK "legit"... as quality spares from a "scrappy" in Europe...  sold on Ebay.. and other places....
Not necessarily to those who have had them nicked in the first place,.... obviously... but to the crash repair market...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PowerLee
Could always solder on some...

No need, I now have a beast from Nekarsulm. It has proper battery.
Vauxhall used to make great cars until a large USA company took over and started their games. The guys who strip the parts must be very dedicated.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

If they could open the car and start it, why not just steal the entire vehicle and bring back the bits they don't want Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

We've had a few Corsas stripped recently in the Northamptonshire area in a similar fashion Sad