cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Steering Fault

Fixes: 47

Car Steering Fault

When the road wheels of my car point straight ahead the steering wheel is about 60 degrees left of horizontal.
It's not a great problem to me apart from the indicator not cancelling correctly, either too early or not at all and part of the wheel obscuring some of the instruments.
It puzzles my grandson no end and my daughter can't understand how I can drive like that but as I explain I drive to the road and not the position of the steering wheel.
Would anyone care to offer a solution. The car is a Renault Megane.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Car Steering Fault

Get the tracking sorted by a proper company.
They should set the steering wheel correctly and then adjust the tracking to suit
Note that I believe that the Megane needs 4 wheel tracking not just the front wheels

The wheels are tracked correctly. Tyre companies usually centre the steering wheel, lock it and track the wheels.
I've had this situation before where the track control arms ended up at different lengths pushing one wheel out further than normal. It resulted in the outer CV joint gaiter pulling off the hub and the clamp ring rattling about on the hub and destroying the ABS sensor, £70 to buy a new one.
According to the Haynes Manual no adjustment of the rear wheel alignment is possible.
Community Veteran

But did they do the rear wheels as well - the majority of the tyre companies don't have the equipment to do it.
If the wheel was set up correctly when they did the tracking then it sounds as though something is adrift - have you checked the wheel bearings, binding brakes, tyre wear
Of course if they don't track all four wheels to the body then it can cause all sorts of problems including uneven length track rods (do they still call them that)
Basically if you let go of the steering wheel does the car go straight ahead or round a curve.
Just seen your edit - will check
You are correct - no rear wheel alignment is possible but http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10209 they may still be out of line
http://www.rtecshop.com/shop/wheel-and-tyre-info/4-wheel-laser-alignment.html

The car goes straight with no hands on the wheel.
I took the steering wheel off with the intention of re-aligning it but it only fits on the splines in one position.
The only other thing I can think of is at some time the steering column was removed and the lower universal joint reconnected out of alignment if that's possible considering my experience with the steering wheel.
I usually do my own tracking these days (and have done for some time) and have two devices for the purpose and do a final test on the local B&Q car park which has a surface excellent at revealing tracking errors.
I could take it to a Renault service centre but they would probably charge me more than the car's worth.
Community Veteran

If it is a bolted universal joint then it is quite possible as they can be 6 bolt connections which would give the 60 degree error if they were one bolt pitch out

I think it's one of these Jim...
and a pig to get at in the foot well.....at my age.
Community Veteran

So it is a bolted clamp on a 6 sided head so  that suggests it it one bit out.
Unless it will fail its MOT I would ignore it - unless you really want to risk knackering your back
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had a megane years ago.. always had problems with the tracking on it. It would be tracked and then within a week or two, the wheel was also to the left like yours strat. Ours was terrible at seizing the tie rod ends so they couldn't be adjusted. It was a real pita and the local garage had trouble getting replacement parts - they'd get sent the wrong bits and have to waste hours on it. We never did really get to the bottom of it - by the time it needed doing again he headgasket had failed so the SO got shot of it. Great cars, I loved ours to bits but they are a lot of hassle. Ours was chewing up engine mounts all the time and that led to the exhaust taking more vibration that it was meant to and then breaking the exhaust mounts. Despite that, I still miss it and my heart lit up once when I saw it driving up to a roundabout one day. I got my colleague to go round the roundabout again so I could get a proper look at the thing as it was sitting there waiting to pull out. I yelled over at the guy "Thats my old car!" - he smiled and waved back Smiley  It's gone now though, it clearly pained that guy a lot as within a few months the DVLAs online tax checking service had no record of the car  Sad
@OldJim there is no rear tracking on the megane from memory. Renault do have a couple of other models that do have it but I don't remember it being on the megane though it has been a few years.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

@Oldjim It's been through 3 MOT tests like it so no problem there and I don't fancy the contortionist act needed to fix it....unless I find a friendly mechanic.
@Sprite Rear exhaust hangers have been a regular swap until I fabricated my own using one of these, some 20 x 3 flat strip and some threaded rod.
When I get shut of it I can't imagine admitting to previously owning it for fear of repercussions Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You  might find something of interest on here.......
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
When I get shut of it I can't imagine admitting to previously owning it for fear of repercussions Wink

Lol. I loved ours, it was a great car wih great memories but it was a money pit without any doubt. Local chap down kwik fit had one and loved his to bits too but he said the same of them. Renault make wonderfully comfy cars but they're not the most reliable  Crazy
Like the tip for the exhaust though, very smart - will remember that!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

@Shutter thanks I visit that site occasionally.
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Strat
The car goes straight with no hands on the wheel.
I took the steering wheel off with the intention of re-aligning it but it only fits on the splines in one position.

It wouldn't have helped anyway as the indicator cancelling problems prove it's a column misalignment issue.
I could take it to a Renault service centre but they would probably charge me more than the car's worth.

Any garage will be able to sort it - no need to go to a main dealer.
Mathew

My concern with taking it to a garage is that they may just track it with the steering wheel centered resulting in another ABS sensor replacement as detailed in my 2nd post.
Except of course if I know the mechanic personally and can explain the problem without him thinking "what does he know?" and does his own thing.