Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Scrappage again, really?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Car Scrappage again, really?

Coventry Council are at again and this time rather than cash in hand to scrap that old banger, they are giving out transport credits which can be used across the city’s transport network such as bicycles, e-scooters and taxis.

Really?

It all sounds rather odd to me, but then I don't live anywhere near the place so....

Would you scrap your car for public transport credits? - BBC News

Petrol and diesel drivers urged to scrap cars in exchange for public transport token | Express.co.uk

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
12 REPLIES 12
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Car Scrappage again, really?

Depends on your personal circumstances and where you live....

If you have a old banger of a car which you hardly ever use, have good public transport and no need of a vehicle to transport  shopping from the supermarket or move other goods than it might be a good idea but at a guess the majority of car owners are unlikely to take the offer up.....why......well anyone who uses a car and for some reason does not have the use of it due a breakdown or whatever soon misses it....well at least I do.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Think you are right there.

This seems to be aimed at and more use to those who live in urban areas... and it would no use to me at all really as I have a bus pass. Just a pity it cannot be real cash that could be exchanged for a reasonably priced electric car which given current the progress of uptake cannot be far off. 

My old banger is on it's last legs. Had yet another front coil spring snap earlier this week. ☹️

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

As much as i like driving and the freedom it offers in theory (not that i make use of it but it's handy for work) I have often found myself infuriated with motors. They're an absolute menace when they go seriously wrong and a bloody liability. Unfortunately despite a manual licence i'm restricted to manuals due to NHS delays in treatment from over a decade ago so i'm further limited. It's a pain when an auto goes wrong as finding another auto within price range is a challenge.

Would i give up driving in return for credits though? Unlikely. In 21st century britain, crime, violence, thugs are spreading like wildfire everywhere. Then there's the practical side of it. Have you ever tried getting a 6ft christmas tree home on a bus? I have. I can tell you it's not the most practical way of getting stuff home. Before i learnt to drive, I'd never had a car in my life - my parent never had one (or the guts / intelligence to take the tests) and we relied on public transport for everything. It was a total pain and is life crippling in so many ways. If you are in a car enabled family at a young age you instantly have an advantage compared to youngsters who don't. Life was very hard and for that reason I do prefer the independence that personal transport offers - even though it's a menace when something goes badly wrong.

But I can see that for some transport credits would work - imagine working in the town centre, parking is expensive and you could leave the car at home, save tons on parking and fuel and still have a car for outings / moving goods when you need it. It could very well be a winner in reality. I'd be keen to see it expand if it makes a positive difference to peoples lives.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

Funny you should mention autos in the light of my manual Fiesta needing work as I have been offered free of charge (generous son in law itching for a new car) a 2008 Ford Focus automatic estate which is two years younger the Fiesta.

Insurance is not that much more, and given the deep sighs from the Mrs because I cannot always hear when to change gear, I am tempted.  

Not driven an auto for years though and the thought that I might have trouble with the gear box does worry me. 

PS. Shifting sands as they say, but I am hoping to go all electric next year with a new yet el cheapo one.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The car I saw in the ad didn't go very far in promoting it for me. The age of the vehicle is irrelevant. It looked in great condition and all I was left thinking was what a waste.

The worrying thing about electric cars is the affordable ones are going to be Chinese with Chinese batteries. Anyone who has bought a cheap Chinese replacement battery for their mobile will know what I mean. Their capacity is usually vastly overrated and they often fail to hold much of a charge or last very long.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up 

Funny you should mention autos in the light of my manual Fiesta needing work as I have been offered free of charge (generous son in law itching for a new car) a 2008 Ford Focus automatic estate which is two years younger the Fiesta.

Insurance is not that much more, and given the deep sighs from the Mrs because I cannot always hear when to change gear, I am tempted.  

Not driven an auto for years though and the thought that I might have trouble with the gear box does worry me. 

That gearbox might not be the type you drove years ago @Minivanman 

I don't know much about Ford cars, but at some point at least some (perhaps all?) of their 'automatic' models were fitted with 'dual-clutch' gearboxes, which are essentially manual gearboxes operated by computer-controlled hydraulic clutches (i.e. no clutch pedal), broadly similar to the DSG gearboxes used by VAG cars.

These need to be driven differently than the old slush-box type autos in some respects, e.g. definitely no holding the car stationary on hills instead of using the brakes as that is akin to slipping the clutch on a normal manual gearbox and obviously causes excessive wear on the clutch.

I've always avoided automatics in the past as I disliked them, until my present car which I chose specifically as a a VW DSG model.  It performs completely differently than those older automatic types, and personally I won't go back to manual by choice.

So it might be worth doing some online research on the car you've been offered, and maybe take it for a decent test drive to see if it'll be OK for you, bearing in mind that if it is of the type mentioned above don't 'slip the clutch' on hills or by 'creeping' in slow moving traffic.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

The one I had years back was on a Zodiac Mk 3 and have been told since it was a torque converter system - whatever that is. Had the 'creeps' with it once up behind a stationary vehicle at a junction. Took my foot off the brake and it sort of slid forward and bumped into the back. No damage to either vehicle but the other driver got quite upset for some reason but rude words only, fisticuffs narrowly avoided! 

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

The one I had years back was on a Zodiac Mk 3 and have been told since it was a torque converter system - whatever that is. Had the 'creeps' with it once up behind a stationary vehicle at a junction. ...

@Minivanman 

Yep, that's what I was referring to above by the term 'slush-box', where there's no mechanical link between the engine and the gearbox as there is in a clutch system (or DSG / Dual clutch type auto).

7up
Community Veteran

If it were me, i'd take the auto focus. Focus's are good cars with good engines. No idea of the autoboxes but truth be told, these days most autoboxes are very well made.

There's two types, one with a slush box (technical name is a torque convertor as already mentioned). These basically work (simple terms here) by the engine spinning transmission fluid around inside a torque convertor. Remember those windmill things you used to have as a kid - you blow at them and they spin round? - Similar principle. The torque convertor has a set of blades that the transmission fluid strikes and pushes round. Because the engine doesn't stop, neither does the torque hence you have to put your foot on and hold the brake pedal when stationary - letting go will see it start creeping forwards.

Then there is the automatic clutch method. On my current vehicle it's known as ASM - Auto Shifting Manual. The reality is that it's a manual gearbox with a hydraullic powered robot bolted on with a bunch of valves actuated by the transmission control computer (the slush boxes also have a TCM too). The ASM doesn't have a constant link to the engine so it works like a normal accelerator pedal but as you press down the first few degrees it also controls the clutch bite point at the same time. It's very clever stuff but slightly more complex than the slush box as you've got a hydraullic system in there. 

With slush boxes, you rarely hear of them being taken apart - most will either bin the car if it goes wrong, trade it in to someone who can fix it and resell it, or they'll get another gearbox put in - that's if it even goes wrong. If you get a volvo / Toyota / Honda you can be sure of interstellar mileages from a slush box. The ASM boxes are a bit different though. They require clutch changes just like regular manual boxes but they have the added complexity of hydraullic lines, sensors, wires etc all over the place - a lot more complexity outside of the gearbox whereas the slushbox has most of the complexity inside it. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@7up 

Sounds complicated compared to a manual gearbox, the design of which has changed little over the years.

The more complicated things are the more there is to go wrong with them so more costly.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran

Autoboxes are always complex - they are essentially robots! However those with Torque convertors tend to be reliable. The ASMs with a clutch and hydraullic shifter are based on manual gearboxes. If teh manual box is known to be good, then the auto ASM version of it will be okay. Slight pain for clutch changes - a lot of hydraullics to work around etc but thats about it. Of the two my preference is as slush box but with that said i'm presently driving a ASM - the advantage with these is fuel economy. Slushboxes have no solid link to the engine so they get through more juice - a lot more.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

The reason I was a bit nervous about them was as said when I had the Zodiac years back. What happened there was the reverse used to either slip or not work at all. Drove it for a while like that (as you do) until 'fortunately' a passing truck tore the side off one day when it was parked up outside my house. 

Car was scrapped, truck company denied all knowledge, and no insurance payout either. Just wish I'd kept ownership of the FGT111 number plate.... or was it 111FGT. 🤔