cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Query

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Car Query

So just got back from holiday and went to start the car........ dead as a dodo.
Using jump leads from a friends car we got it going, so clearly a flat battery but the alarm continued to go off along with the indicators flashing, disconnected the battery and............ the alarm continued to go off along with the flashing indicators ?
Most cars have a key fob with a button to silence the alarm but not this one, everything is combined, one button to open the car and one to lock it (2004) model.
Removed battery and recharged it overnight and every thing works ok now but I could not see any way to silence the alarm which did eventually stop after 30 minutes, there is no seperate fuse for the alarm.
No information on this in the workshop manual.
Anyone else had a similar problem ?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Car Query

The alarm will have its own built in and well hidden battery otherwise it would be too easy for a thief to disable it
Community Veteran

What make of car is it?
My car that has a "proper" alarm has a whole raft of measures designed to keep the alarm working and prevent a quick disablement.
The alarm siren itself is well hidden, difficult to even decide where it is (sounds resonates via the bodywork), takes a fair while to get at (I've had to replace it) and has internal rechargeable batteries.
Community Veteran

Honda CR-V 2004
I had a look through the honda forums but came across nothing that gave details about this.
I guess the wiring diagram may give a clue as to what wires are connected to the alarm, no idea if it possible to wire in a switch to the system but this is the first time in 4 years that this problem has happened and I know the solution but it's a bit annoying for the neighbours to have to listen to that racket for 30 minutes.
Community Veteran

Knowing (roughly) how the alarm siren in my non-Honda car is controlled/wired there is no way a simple switch would disable it.
It talks via some communications protocol to one of the car management systems, so that needs to be up and running and controlled by the locking/immobiliser system to turn the alarm off.
I suspect your Honda ( which is a "similar" vintage to my car) will be equally difficult to disable.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Did you try locking and unlocking the car when you hooked up the jump leads? - Thats often the way to do it otherwise the alarm detects a voltage spike and thinks someone is tinkering with the car. It doesn't matter that you then started the car with the key in the ignition - the alarm is normally deactivated by unlocking the car first.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I did try that but with no success, the alarm did stop for a few seconds but then went off again irrespective of the doors being locked or unlocked.
@HPsauce,
I suspect you are correct as otherwise it would be an easy job for a thief to cut the wire.
Thanks for the replies