cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Price

jmd
Grafter

Car Price

I bought a new pre-registered Hyundai i10 car 10 days ago and discovered after purchase that the car I bought was a lower price on the Hyundai website than what I paid.  The dealers state that as they had the car 3 mths before Hyundai reduced the price they are able to charge the original price.
Is this something I could/should take further - I feel somewhat annoyed by this now.
I love the car - it is great to drive etc.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Car Price

I think you need to have a word with your local trading standards office on this one......
You may need to consider the process which went through your mind. and in actuality, of deciding to purchase this particular model.....
e.g...... did you decide to buy it, BECAUSE you saw it advertised on the website.... and was there any "getout" printing on there, e.g. "model shown is a XXXXX "  which looks similar to the one you bought....
was there a Price on the  Windscreen in the showroom, / forecourt, when you went to buy the car..... was this the same or different to the website....
magnetism2772
Grafter

I would off thought the price of the car  as it was ten days ago  when you bought it is what counts

a salesman that has sold you a 3 month old car as a new car should still be offering  it at the  manufacturers price
at the time you bought it 
magnetism2772
Grafter

write to Hyundai  and tell them you  believe you've been over charged

Hyundai Motor UK Ltd  Registered Office: 728 London Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1HE.
itsme
Grafter

Thought a retailer can set any price they want. especially in the car industry as most manufacturers have been fined millions by the EU for price fixing.
jmd
Grafter

I have to admit that I was originally going for the basic model so had only looked at price of that on website before going on test drive which would have been cheaper.  However, did the test drive in the Edition mdel which has more spec so cost more.  I did not see a price on the car on forecourt.
magnetism2772
Grafter

cars that are pre registered have already been sold
normally franchise dealers themselves buy these  to reach targets and for bonuses
and they are normally prepared to sell them at cost price
The sticker price is the price the manufacturer sets for the retail value of the vehicle. It's called the sticker price because it's traditionally been written on the piece of paper you see stuck to the car's window
Invoice Price
The invoice price is what the dealer pays the manufacturer. The invoice price is where you want to aim your sights.
The dealer is in business to make a profit. So the negotiated price you should pay will normally be somewhere between the invoice price and the sticker price. This is known in negotiation as your zone of possible agreement.
So whilst you're aiming for the dealers Invoice Price, he's gunning for the Sticker Price - this is normal and is known in negotiation as each side's Aspiration Bases.
jmd
Grafter

Have sent email to Hyundai customer service asking about this - hoping I get a reply before I go and see them again at the Dealers!  Sales Manager has said the Finance Manager will contact me for appointment to go through figures again.  Have a feeling I am hitting my head against the wall! Sad Sad
magnetism2772
Grafter

well let us all know what Hyundai  say  ,
it will make a good newspaper article
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The dealer will not like to admit to "doing a shady deal"..... so you may have a little stick with some clout in it, if you casually drop into the conversation that you are likely to be in touch with the local trading standards office....
You may be able to "re-negotiate" the sale, if you can cast some doubt on their selling position, by saying the price wasn`t on the car when you took it for a test drive, .... remember,.... they want to keep you as a "happy" customer, who will only say "good things" about them to other people.... they will not want you going home with a bad taste in your mouth, and spreading doom and gloom whichever queue you happen to be in next day.!>!.  use that to your advantage.....!    Wink Wink
Unfortunately, when you went through the "final sale agreement, and finance deal (if there  is one), you will/should have been told the price then, and at that point had the opportunity to cancel, or re-negotiate... (that will/could be the line that they take).... They did not force you into signing the agreement, nor into purchasing the vehicle..... Cry
Lurker
Grafter

I think Shutters last paragraph sums it up I'm afraid.
Nobody has any duty to set their prices - it is simply an offer. If one chooses to accept the offer and pay an agreed price for an item, it doesn't make much difference how much somebody else (or even the same person) is selling a similar (or better) item for.
Hyundai might decide to do something from a PR point of view - you can live in hope!
jmd
Grafter

Got no change on the price as folk have said - however, after persisting[visiting/phoning] I have a free valet in 6 mths, set of mats and the 1st service free [ £170 at present] so at least  complaining has achieved something.  Mind you, I think the dealership is probably fed up of me now!
magnetism2772
Grafter

i'm sure that you have a nice car.
i've never bought a car that is brand new , i've never been able to afford such a luxery
but a major service and the other goodies
you got from the car dealer are great
jmd
Grafter

It is a lovely car and am very pleased about it.
As for buying a new car, my first car [a little Fiat 126 costing £1500 in 1978!] was bought new and so once you have them from new and break them in as it were, then you have to keep having new - well that is my excuse!