Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Parts, Original or the Market?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Car Parts, Original or the Market?

I do not often work on cars apart from simply checking all is OK and up to measure, those days are long gone but I have in mind to change the air filter on my little one before winter sets in as from what I can tell, it's not been changed since we bought it 'newish' five years ago and it seems to running a little sluggish. 

Here's the rub - do I buy an original one direct (from Fords in my case) for £25, or one online from say Unipart for £7.50 - and believe it or not, I have seen them on Amazon and Ebay for around £40. Crazy2  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Car Parts, Original or the Market?

Generic filters do the job the often expensive OEM ones do, after all, it gets thrown in in the bin every couple of years anyway, no point spending more than necessary... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I used to work in a FORD main dealership, in the parts ordering department... If we did not have a genuine ford filter in stock, for vehicle, it would be sourced "locally" from the local motor factors,... usually a FRAM  C.A.V. or similar Top Line make... it would be cheaper than the ford equivalent.... be available within the hour ( usually ), and the customer would not "know" the difference ( except from performance level possibly) and was charged the ford price... when the bill was presented... ( usually this sort of thing would be changed on a "regular" service schedule, or as a package deal.... MOT & Service etc).. so it would be a "fixed price" service.... hence the ability to buy cheap and make a good profit ...

Generic Filters of a "good" or recognised name,.. are well up to the job... and I have never had any problems with any car that I have fitted them to, in over 50 years of motoring.  Like you, I don`t do my own servicing now, and I am quite happy for my tame mechanic to use non genuine filters .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I still do my own service on my car and the only original replacement  I buy is the oil filter ( £10) all other items such as brake pads, discs and the like are non original parts but carry the name of a well known brand.

Not sure why I buy an original oil filter, a branded one is possibly as good but for a few pounds more gives me piece of mind.

Yes I know it's irrational but at my age I am fixed in my ways.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There's a difference between manufacturing a third party part and cloning. Clones may even me fraudulently packaged to represent Ford or others. Firms like Unipart are top of the range and also supply the car manufacturers with original parts.

I do have a concern however about the metallurgy and material science for bits like engine parts and brake parts but am quiet happy to fit filters from most sources.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Unipart automotive don't exist now - they went bust a year or two back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unipart

In July 2014 Unipart Automotive entered into administration with the loss of more than 1200 jobs. Some branches and 361 staff were sold to Andrew Page and the Parts Alliance.[14] Andrew Page, which has 93 branches and more than £170 million in turnover, is a member of The Parts Alliance, a buying and distribution group.[15]

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

So who are these people then? 

http://unipartautostore.com/

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No idea - last time I looked there it had closed down. It's possible the unipart group have bought back the shares they sold off and restarted it again - it would be in their interest considering they make all the parts they were selling through the stores as the closure must have left them with the feeling that the brakes had been slammed on.

I did try ringing the customer service number to find out - but no answer.  At the end of the day though, you still can't go to the local branch and grab what you need quickly, conveniently and cheaply. My local branch was excellent and although hidden out the way in a back street of an industrial estate the staff were great, they always had parts for the rare renault we have (though they did have to order in the exhaust) and you always got a decent honest service and price in there. Thats all gone now - anywhere I go now I have to pay almost retail price. Shock absorber bearing - £25.. unipart was £13... etc. The website has virtually nothing.. no ball joints, no wishbones, no proper parts... though they do have an oil filter for £2.99 which is a bargain price.. but I wouldn't trust it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Well I've ordered that air filter from them, so I'll let you know Wink

PowerLee
Rising Star

The cars I look after are so common that genuine parts are dirt cheap online & from the main dealer parts department.

Air, oil & pollen filters I buy genuine parts online.

Spark plugs ill get Bosch cheap on Halfords trade card ( less then £6 for a set of Bosch Super + plugs for my car )

Oil I can get from work.

Bulbs ill always get Philips or Osram.

Braking components I use Brembo or Ferodo for the friction stuff, wheel cylinders ill get genuine online.

Just got a genuine Peugeot / Citroen oil filter ( made by Purflux ) & drain plug washer for less then £6 so I could change the oil on the GF's car.