Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Parking... in a Public Car Park, etc

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Car Parking... in a Public Car Park, etc

When I park in a Public Car park, eg Superstore etc, there are a few things I do.

I don't park next to cars, especially SUV's, with baby seats, potentially doors flung wide to put youngster back into car.
I try to park near more expensive, luxurious, nickable cars, when in my runabout car.
In a tight spot, I record adjacent cars, phone camera or voice recorder. Just in case.
I don't understand why people have to try & park adjacent to the entrance of wherever... I can park a little bit further away, walk to the entrance, and still see the lazy ones looking for a space.
Add to this, I park near, and uphill from, the trolley park. So much easier to dispose of empty trolley.

And don't get me started on obviously non-disabled drivers parking in disabled spots, out of sheer lazyness.
Though the spots are usually wider than normal, and the offenders appear to need the extra width !

I'm off to the shops now, to practise what I preach...

Your pet do's and dont's ?

40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car Parking... in a Public Car Park, etc

Look for the cars that are backed in - these are often the staff and the car won't move for the duration of your shopping trip.
Normal shoppers don't tend to back the cars in as you need access to the boot of the car to put your shopping in.
I also park away from the entrance - preferably with a space either side of me in a quiet part of hte car park. You often find some "old codger" parking right next to you despite almost no other cars in the carpark  Cheesy
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: picbits
Look for the cars that are backed in - these are often the staff and the car won't move for the duration of your shopping trip.
Normal shoppers don't tend to back the cars in as you need access to the boot of the car to put your shopping in.
Cheesy

Excellent suggestion, thanks
That reminds me, I don't park behind a cars boot.
Nose to nose only

Infinity
Pro

Any hint of aggro on the road, I would drive into a Supermarket car park with ANPR for times / charging of customers, that way our recorded times and number plates would be recorded, if followed in.
With the other driver probably not realising he was being recorded
Something I could point out if there was a threat of potential violence.
BTW, this has never happened to me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: picbits

Well I must NOT be a "normal shopper" then. I ALWAYS back in, makes it a lot easier to get out, no danger of running over some kid/dog/another car as you reverse out in to the "road" where you can't see. Standard Advanced Driving technique. Although this topic has been covered before.
What gets me is the drivers who will park up against your bumper, stopping you from accessing your boot/hatch etc.
My mate (now sadly deceased) used to park as far away as possible in an empty part of the car park, I used to laugh when we returned to his car and there was ALWAYS someone else parked NEXT to him.
Fixes: 104

i find an empty space and park in it.
simple really.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Quote from: dvorak
i find an empty space and park in it.

It's more difficult to park in an occupied space Tongue
I usually park at the opposite end of the car park from the store as I need the exercise and there are many more spaces..
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I prefer to park at the rear of the car park in the spaces that the lazy refuse to walk from. I will park closer to the store but only if its in the end bay so I can park over the line a bit and leave at least 2 feet between me and the next car.
As for backing into spaces, I do both. I'll drive in but also back in - depends on my random decision at the time so those comments about that I see as void if I'm honest as I always assume others may be like this too. Whats wrong with carrying the shopping from the front of the car to the boot?
What does wind me up though is when you on purposely park in the end bay and leave plenty of space for the next vehicle to have lots of 'between' space. I stayed in the car once while the missus went in the shop and another motorist pulled in next to us and let their passenger open their door on our car. I went absolutely ballistic as they had loads of space but had decided to push the door out as far as it would go.
Of course this does depend on the car I'm driving. If I'm in the crap mobil then I don't worry as it's battered, bruised, welded, scratched etc. If it's the smart mobil then all the above applies.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I try to park in two spaces...  Shocked

with the white line running underneath the centre of my car.... gives me plenty of room  to open doors... and the same for people parked (properly) next to me ! ! ! ...
Fixes: 47

If you did that on a pay and display would you incur a double fee Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

My local Church has a Pray & Display Car Park !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: shutter
-cut-
with the white line running underneath the centre of my car.... gives me plenty of room  to open doors... and the same for people parked (properly) next to me ! ! ! ...

Ahh a VOLVO driver then!  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: PlusComUK
My local Church has a Pray & Display Car Park !!

Are they trying to reform flashers and naturists ?  Shocked
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

I didn't realize you lived in SY20 ... that's how everyone parks here!
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Fixes: 125

Some strange things happen in car parks (cue x-files music).
It appears that like coloured cars are attracted to each other.
When I had my silver Primera even if I parked in a bay with nothing around I inevitably returned to find at least one other silver car parked in the next bay. Now I have a black car... Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still