Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Car Parking Meters

Hi All
I heard about this yesterday on Magic Radio
[quote="Gazette Live"]
Teesside Councils coin it in at parking meters
REDCAR and Cleveland Council has pocketed nearly £100,000 in the last three years by not issuing change from its parking meters.
And Middlesbrough Council says its ticket machines accept overpayment because drivers “prefer to pay extra” rather than having to find the right money.
It comes as figures show the area’s three local authorities generated more than £11m from parking charges between 2009 and 2012.
They have a total of 277 machines between them - none of which issues change.

Middlesbrough collected £7.5m and Stockton brought in £1.5m. Redcar and
Cleveland’s total was £2.3m - of which £99,746 was generated by machines keeping change.
The other two authorities were unable to say how much they had made from motorists overpaying.
But Professor Stephen Glaister, director of The Royal Automobile Club Foundation for Motoring, said: “This seems like a nice little earner. £100,000 might be small change to the council, but for hard-pressed drivers every penny counts.
“With the best will in the world, not everyone is going to have the right money for parking and, if the authority was really interested in providing a decent service, it should have machines which give change.”
Redcar and Cleveland Council’s cabinet member for community protection Councillor Steve Goldswain said it may look into alternative payment methods.
“As parking machines comes to the end of their life expectancy alternative units with different payment options will be investigated,” he said.
Middlesbrough Council said in a statement that its machines are programmed to accept overpayment as “many of our customers have indicated that they prefer to pay extra rather than having to go and find change.”
A spokesman declined to say how the authority had reached that conclusion.
But Professor Glaister added: “It is extraordinary that the council believes drivers welcome the option of overpaying. Surely what motorists would really prefer is a fair deal, not a council which takes money it is not entitled to.”
Read More Here

Middlesbrough Council is telling porkies wen thay say, see my bold above.   Angry
[Edit] Added Middlesbrough Council's spokesman.  Lips are sealed
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Car Parking Meters

Parking meters on Southsea sea front, take credit cards, and also you can "phone in" your parking requirement and pay over the phone... (never done either) however if you put a £1 coin in the machine for a 90p session, the time is calculated up to the £1.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not just them it happens all over the place, very large car park near the start of the Vale of Rheidol Railway - Aberystwyth Station, they dont give change, Luckily the railway have a smaller free car park
jmd
Grafter

Car parks here don't give change - so quite often I have ended up giving council 10p when all I have is £1 and it costs 90p..............
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thats old news. Every council that operates car parks has been at this for many years. There are a couple of logistical reasons for this:

• Many ticket machines are solar powered

• Change mechanisms require energy to dispense change

• A machine having change would be a target for vandals. It could be ripped open and instead of just the coin box being stolen, all of the machines other bits would be vulnerable to attack

• A single coin box is easier to protect and also attracts a theif to the lower part of the machine away from the actual machine itself.

The profits from the overpayments are one of those things that is unavoidable these days. If councils had easy payments eg 50p per hour you'd still have someone put in £1 and then grumble about it. Likewise if they charged 10p you'd still get someone stick in a 20 or 50p and then moan.
Yes the councils do make a profit but if they put in different machines they'd be vandalised every other week and they'd never be in service. Quite frankly I believe all car parks should be free but theres little chance of that happening now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanb
Grafter

Have to say I think that councils are taking the mickey.
It would not be that hard to round up the parking time and print the ticket accordingly. For example, if the charge is 80 pence for the first hour, and you put a quid in the machine, then you should get one hour plus an extra 20 pence worth, which is 15 minutes in this example.
I can't imagine that it would be particularly difficult to do it that way, after all, these machines have the intelligence to calculate and print the tickets, and I doubt that they rely on clockwork to do that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As I said ..... reply #1 above  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Should be made illegal, if some machines can give change then it cannot be beyond the firms that make these machines to ensure they all give change.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Slightly off topic:- but connected to parking
I was visiting an colleagues in a picturesque Gloucestershire village the other day (apart from the traffic), typical Cotswold village with no “off street parking”, cars everywhere, both side of the main street, thin empty strip down the middle, with cars having to back up just to let the bus through. I found a spot to park about 100 meters up from my colleagues, squeezed in the gap to be confronted by an angry householder say I was taking her ‘daughter’s parking place’, I had no right to be there, she pays her council tax and has every right to utilise the street outside her house.
I got out of there, rang my friend and arranged to meet him at a local pub.
I’d never come across this before.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had similar on Tuesday, but the boot was on my foot.  Next door have the builder in, when he came their car was outside so he parked outside mine,  then next door went to work.  SWMBO was having the hairdresser due at 10, typical bad driver cant park on the road, uses the footpath as well.  I say the builder at about 9 and asked him nicely if he could move his van along a bit for her.  Grunt ok, did nothing.  She turned up and parke in front of there drive so that the builder coulnt use it
OH the joys of women drivers.
Today they are cutting floor tiles with a saw and loads of dust out the front
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
squeezed in the gap to be confronted by an angry householder say I was taking her ‘daughter’s parking place’, I had no right to be there, she pays her council tax and has every right to utilise the street outside her house.

You pay Road Tax and have every right to park on the road unless there are restrictions, like yellow lines or Resident Parking only. If neither are present then it's a free for all.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: journeys
I found a spot to park about 100 meters up from my colleagues, squeezed in the gap to be confronted by an angry householder say I was taking her ‘daughter’s parking place’, I had no right to be there, she pays her council tax and has every right to utilise the street outside her house.
I’d never come across this before.

Its a common problem unfortunately and in the smaller communities or those where there is a bit more money and less draconianess people can become incredibly difficult about parking. I've experienced it many times and the OH had the same thing happen once when parking outside someones house.
I ignore them. They don't own the public highway and if they have a problem with it then they should call the police or the council parking office. Neither of which will do anything if its not causing an obstruction except to reassert that the locals do not own the road.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

There's a sort of unwritten law between neighbours which says you don't park in the space outside their house Cool
In my village we have new neighbours two doors away. They just park where they like and usually it's in front of our house. This annoys my wife no end (she doesn't drive, by the way). I find it inconvenient but have no intention of discussing with my neighbour. My view is that if they were sociable and considerate they would have respected that I parked there in the first place plus I have no legal right to insist they don't (unless you have a crossover).
@sprite Around 15 years ago we had a crossover built so we could park two cars in our front garden (many of our neighbours had done the same). Next door to the right didn't have a car so when we had visitors they would park there. One day the neighbours decided to complain. We we refused to move they called the police. I was actually surprised they came out but they told the neighbour that as they had a valid tax disc they were entitled to park where they were. So they neighbour said next time they had visitors they would tell them to park in front of our house. The police told them that as we had a crossover if they blocked us in that would be a police matter. We were then told that if they blocked us from entering then that would be a civil matter and the police wouldn't get involved.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Our road is 2 cars wide and there is an unwritten agreement that cars only park on one side (my side coincidentally)
We have had new neighbours park a car on the other side but it usually stops after a couple of days.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
You pay Road Tax and have every right to park on the road unless there are restrictions, like yellow lines or Resident Parking only. If neither are present then it's a free for all.

Only partly true, I think. You have exactly the same rights as the complaining home-owners, but I'm pretty sure that the law says you have no 'right' to park anywhere on the highway, except in designated parking places. That's what gives the authorities power to remove your car, or tell you to move you on, if they don't like where you have parked.