cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Ownership & Insurance/road tax

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Car Ownership & Insurance/road tax

It`s been a while since the new rules came into force.. 2.5 years ago, so how have people on the forum been getting on with them.... is it easy to transfer a vehicle ownership, and have it insured/taxed as it was before.. i.e. the transfer of tax  (with the vehicle) is no longer possible.  and if a vehicle is sold, then, technically, it is not insured until the new owner has arranged cover. As it does not have the new owners name on the original owners insurance... and your current insurance may cover you to drive vehicles NOT OWNED by you... but the new purchase IS owned by you, therefore it is not insured on your policy..

Have you gone through the new procedures?

How easy were these operations for you to do?

How quickly was this achieved before you could actually drive the new purchase away from the previous owner (legally)  ( and I `m not referring to the 0 to 62 mph  )...

How did you do it?

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Car Ownership & Insurance/road tax

As you know the V5 document is not proof of ownership but an exercise in bureaucracy, and physical ownership does not prevent you from taxing or insuring a vehicle. When I bought my son his car a while back we simply did everything online at the garage when it was bought allowing us to drive it home 10 mins after it was paid for. Completing the V5 for the trading was just as easy with the aid of their rubber stamp.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Same here @Mook

Bought a little 'run around' car for one of my daughters a few weeks back and it was all done and dusted by the main dealer in less time than it took to drink the crappy coffee they gave us!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Once you set up the insurance, you can tax it immediately via the online system. It doesn't care about ownership.
My "new" car was taxed by the garage while I was signing the paper work to pay for it. (They paid the years tax)

Down side is once you cancel the tax mid way through the month they still don't refund you the outstanding days, only whole months still. Same with taxing it, tax it today and you have to pay from 1/5.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As far as the DVLA is concerned you are referred to as the "registered keeper" which is not quite the same as the owner as you may not be.

However I have used the DVLA online system four times now (I'm in the process of a 5th - a transfer of a disabled free tax to another vehicle, you can only have one free tax per household - in the event, its one of the very few DVLA processes that can't be done online, has to be done in a post office)

Otherwise all other processes are a piece of cake, highly recommended.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have never purchased a car from a garage, always went for a private sale so how would I go on in the following situation ?

Self and shmbo or a pal go and see a car at a private house which is some considerable distance from where I live and we go on a Sunday as most people are at work monday to friday.

I decide to purchase the car and drive it away after paying cash.... so exactly how do I do that ?

I own the car and could tax it immediately on line but what about the insurance ? I cannot drive it because I own it, sure you might say phone the insurance company and amend the policy except many insurance companied do not have office staff working on a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday.

Yes someone will answer if you phone during those times but they are there to take details of accidents only and cannot alter or change your policy in any way.

How do I know this ? simply because I was in that position.

I will leave you to guess what I did.!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@gleneagles - The person you were with drove it home as a third party on their insurance.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thumbs Up

Bit annoying though, I am fully comprehensive and they are third party, what hapens if they are involved in an accident with my new car ?

Anonymous
N/A

@gleneagles

There are car insurance companies open on Sundays. Admiral, for example. Open to sort out insurance over the phone 10-6 on Sundays.

or you could speak to you existing car insurance company before starting the car search and see if they can cover you for a new vehicle providing you inform them as soon as possible.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

I will leave you to guess what I did.!

Of course, you hired a flatbed truck to drive the new purchase home thus avoiding driving on the road without insurance and risking the new car being turned into a metal pancake by the police... Funny

Or, was that guess a bit wrong? Funny