Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Leasing Electric.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Car Leasing Electric.

Does anybody here lease their car privately.

I know we've been here many times before with regards to electric, but given the cost of having to lease the battery for them anyway, ever changing technology with regards to the amount of power they hold and of course selling the by then 'old tech' vehicle once you have done with it, 'leasing electric' is starting to make sense.

Cost is a consideration of course and I'm hard put to find anything online for less than £150 a month which even at that price is a little beyond my budget and yes, I do know I would also have to pay a deposit. 😞

Any thoughts guys?

37 REPLIES 37
idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Car Leasing Electric.

Leasing would only make sense if you use the car to its max. If you fail to use it, it could be losing you money. And do look at any restrictions etc.The initial contract price is based on what sort of mieage you say you will do i.e. you'll pay X amount per month because you said initially you said you would do 6000 miles a year. If you go over what you've agreed to, it can cost something like 10p a mile (or even more than that). 

Big problem I can see on the horizon is as one gets older, will you still be driving next year? Or will your circumstances change? You'd still have to stomp up the money as defined in the contract even if you fall over.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

I'd thought about some of that, and although in reasonable health I have no plans to go anywhere quite yet!

The contracts seem to be for three years or there abouts, plus the Mrs drives and she is eight years younger than my own nearly seventy three so.... 😃

Mileage would be low and under any penalty payment hence the attraction and no issue with range once charged. What I am not sure of is if on top of the vehicle lease would I still have to pay to lease that battery. I don't think so but would make sure first if I ever decided to go down that road.

Cheers.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman 

£150 per month would probably be partly compensated for in savings made.

Things that spring to mind;

1.  Zero 'Road-tax'

2.  Cheap 'fuel' especially if using Economy7 or cheaper.  What's cheaper than Eco7 for electricity? - Those free charging points at Tesco for example.

3.  Maybe servicing costs would be included in the lease?

4.  Trade-in value of your Fiesta might lower initial costs/deposit?

Some people have said that all the charging points at Tesco were already being used when they visited, but I spotted a bank of six totally unoccupied last Saturday in the car park at a Tesco I visited for fuel (Momentum99 Petrol), so I guess it depends on how affluent the would-be green motorists are in a locality as to their popularity.

Edit:  Link added

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Sure I read somewhere @RobPN during my 'research' that with a home charge point there was a £500 subsidy making the cost to customer/homeowner around £200. 

I sort of checked that out as other than a single charge point in a local Council run car park, the next nearest was thirty miles away in either Cardigan or Carmarthen. I could be wrong though.

PS Never knew those Tesco charge points were free. Now that is interesting as we often park up in Tesco's Carmarthen, do a bit of shopping there, and then take a short walk into town.

Free parking and free charging? Count me in. 😉

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman 

I'm not sure how far advanced the Tesco program to install EV charging facilities is, but if you check a particular store in their 'Store Locater' you should be able to drill down through the facilities the store location has and see whether, under 'Other services and facilities' > 'Electric Vehicle Charging Point' is available yet.

They're available in at least two of the three (possibly all three) Tesco stores I've visited fairly recently.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

You don't have to lease the batteries these days, why this nonsense perpetuates is beyond me.

And there are more public charging points in the UK than there are petrol stations...

https://www.zap-map.com/
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

Well that has been my understanding from all that I have read but there you go, must be nice to be so well informed. As for charging points that also might be the case - but not around it ain't and besides there is far more time spent in front of a charge point than alongside a petrol pump.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Also.... what's the score with insurance for an electric vehicle?

Not looked into it as yet but suspect it might cheaper given the average electric car is less powerful plus of course there is that reduced mileage aspect and possible deal with leasing company - after all, it is their car. 😐

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Also.... what's the score with insurance for an electric vehicle?

Not looked into it as yet but suspect it might cheaper given the average electric car is less powerful plus of course there is that reduced mileage aspect and possible deal with leasing company - after all, it is their car. 😐

It isn't cheaper 

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/electric-car-insurance

It might be their car, but it's you're responsibility, but many lease companies will include insurance and servicing for a price

You also usually need gap insurance to cover the shorfull should it be written off, as the normal insurance will only pay market value.

And  not sure why you'd think they're less powerful or you'd do less mileage either!

I would strongly suggest doing much more research....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Research is exactly what I am doing, so thanks but no thanks for the not needed advice.

Also, I did say "the average...."  - we can't all afford a super dooper Tesla type ones, and of course they do less mileage - hasn't that been the big beef with them?

Sheesh, some people. 😞

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion

Cars spend most of their time sat there doing nothing depreciating, and the vast majority of journeys in the UK are short. The average journey is something like 11 miles.

Range anxiety is largely a myth perpetuated by the ill informed and they're no less powerful than they're ICE powered counterparts in most cases.

But you carry on in your ignorance. I'm out!!!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Hey, you've left the door open! 😂

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

It might be worth extending the research a bit wider.

If you really only do a low mileage, and most trips are short with the odd longer run have you considered the relative cost of Taxis + Hire Car.

If you tot up the total cost of the lease car including insurance, fuel, servicing, tyres, parking fees etc. then consider what it might cost if all your short journeys were done by taxi and you hired a car for the occasional longer trip. You might get a deal from a local taxi firm if you ask.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@wisty 

But you can't beat the convenience and freedom to choose to detour and/or vary your itinerary even for 'local' journeys, or those spur of the moment trips  - that has value in itself!