cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Car Insurance

This is an odd one, I Have just got my car insurance renewal quote for the next 12 months and it has gone down from £311 last year to £261 this year.
Nothing has changed in the policy except swmbo who is the second named driver and has reached 65.
I Thought that car insurance was supposed to be increasing in cost so not sure why mine has been reduced, not that I am complaining.
Has anyone else on the forum got a quote/paying less than the previous year. ?
Currently with LV.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car Insurance

Is this to do with the increase in female rates Undecided Insurance companies can no longer discriminate in favour of female drivers which will increase their premiums and it was suggested male drivers would benefit - or something like that Wink
Community Veteran

It's happened with mine the last two years!
Geoff,
York.
nadger
Rising Star

My insurance dropped £3 per month on renewal in Feb.
Even more surprising as had new windscreen in December. It wouldn't effect no claims but.....
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Is this to do with the increase in female rates Undecided

I was going to suggest that but as his missus is on the same policy shouldn't it balance out? But there doesn't seem any other plausible reason so who knows with the intricate workings of insurance companies.
Maybe you get a special deal when you reach 50 years no claims. Smiley
gswindale
Grafter

Mine dropped from £400+ to £313 with the same co.
Community Veteran

Mines due at the end of this month.
I only hope I get the similar drop in price.
kmilburn
Grafter

My renewal a few weeks ago was a bit lower than last year,  however,  checking around, I saved about 30% on the renewal quote.  Shocked
gswindale
Grafter

I could have saved more, but was hit by a third party recently which affected the quotes as it wouldn't have been settled by the renewal date.  Despite that, Tesco reduced their quote a few days later which was the price I then paid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose the easy way would be to try and look it up, but does anybody know if you should be able to access your own personal motor insurance details online these days?
I could well imagine that motor insurance companies wouldn't want their customers poking around their policies online.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
CX
Grafter

My renewal dropped approximately £45 (for the year).
kdoug007
Grafter

my insurance  went  up £98,, i changed  and  STILL  awaiting  the  2000  nectar  points...
after  some  mones , they added  ,, but  1000  points!!!!!!!
so  the  sparks  will now  fly..
Community Veteran

I can't wait for my renewal to come in - but I have to wait until October.
Community Veteran

Funnily enough I got my renewal paperwork yesterday - due in about 3 weeks.
It's gone up £4.22 since last year. Not per month, that's the overall annual increase and is just over 1%.
Not bad considering that I replaced my car with a newer (by 5 years), lower mileage (by 65,000) faster and more powerful (just normal improvements so a few % with a similar engine) verison of the same model this January.
I did pay (as expected) a small amount extra for those 3 months of the old cover which equates to a roughly 10% increase (deducting the admin fee) so overall I guess it's gone back down a fair bit at the renewal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Mine isn't due till Oct so will have to see, however just had my first accident for many years, my fault I hit a parked car when reversing out of the parking space  Angry I have protected ncb so I will not loose it just have to pay more when I renew.