cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance

Fixes: 47

Car Insurance

I have just seen on the local news about a new driver in Bradford has been quoted £53,000 for insurance....she has probably decided not to buy a car at the moment.
A spokesman from the Insurance association says that Bradford has the highest number of uninsured drivers in the country and a very high number of injury claims.
That may be so but there is a catch 22 here with insurance prices so high that many people decide not to take out any which, when they are involved in accidents pushes up insurance prices etc...etc.
I can't see a quick fix.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Car Insurance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14615956
Bradford woman Leah Greaves, 20, who has just passed her driving test, said she was finding it difficult to get an affordable quote for her Vauxhall Corsa and was being offered quotes of £7,000 to £8,000.
Ms Greaves said the Gocompare website had even come up with a quote of £53,000.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In many countries car insurance is not compulsory, most African countries as an example.
They work on a basis of fuel surcharge to cover basic hospital cost where necessary (NHS style), then everybody covers themselves only, doesn't matter whose fault it is, the owner pays for his damage.
It would certainly clear up the motor insurance mess.
South Africa allocates a percentage of the money from gasoline into the Road Accidents Fund, which goes towards compensating third parties in accidents

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_insurance#South_Africa
Community Veteran

My previous insurer sent me a renewal with the price 51% higher than last years premium. My circumstances have not changed other than the car being a year older.
When I phoned them up to "discuss" this they said the reasons were, the increase in non insured drivers increasing costs, increased personal injury claims and insurance fraud.
To these people, thank you very much you bastards. I wish you the utmost ill will.
Fixes: 105

Same here oddball, nothing changed but up over 40%.
oddly rang up to see how much it is for a newer more expensive car and apparently i'd get a refund. madness.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oddball
To these people, thank you very much you [Censored]. I wish you the utmost ill will.

Best ring up your insurers and tell them that then. I take it you know the insurance companies have been selling accident victims details to injury law firms? - At £25 per referral its made them major money.. which pushes up the premiums which WE pay for.
So, who really is at fault here? Us or the insurance companies? From my POV its the insurers themselves pushing up the costs.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thejudge
Grafter

Not car insurance, but I had my home contents renewal notice through recently, where the premium had increased by about 20% despite 9 years no-claims. From £186 to £220.
So I looked around, got a better quote from elsewhere (£142) and then phoned my current insurance company to cancel. When the nice Ulster lass on the other end asked what I had been quoted elsewhere, there was much tapping of keys and suddenly they were able to offer the same insurance as before for...
...£130.
"Ker-CHINGGG!"  Smiley

My Home and Contents insurance was up for renewal recently at £600. I shopped around and bought an equivalent policy for £200.
I also asked for a quote on my car insurance which is 3rd Party F & T. Their quote was about £30 cheaper for fully Comprehensive.
Unfortunately I had renewed a couple of weeks earlier. Cry
Fixes: 125

My previous insurer sent me a renewal with the price 51% higher than last years premium.

This has come up before but it's often much cheaper to stay with the same company but as a new customer than to go with their renewal. After all, they want new customers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

When I switched Home and Contents I phoned my old insurer to cancel my renewal.
They, of course asked me what I had been quoted and when I told them they said they couldn't match that and processed my cancellation.
It might have been a different story with the car insurance and maybe I'll check it out next year.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
My previous insurer sent me a renewal with the price 51% higher than last years premium.

This has come up before but it's often much cheaper to stay with the same company but as a new customer than to go with their renewal. After all, they want new customers.
I tried that but it refused me a quote as a new customer (tried that last year too)
I got a better price by changing to LV, albeit more than last years premium but significantly cheaper than the renewal offered by my previous insurer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Mine is due in Oct, not looking forward to the deluge of calls after using a "compare" website.
Last year it was £5 dearer for fully comp then it was for 3PTFT  Crazy
My home insurance, I am with Tesco and have been for several years. Each year I check the renewal price vs what the leaflets are offering. This year I saved £80 by staying with the same insurer  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

My house and contents renewal went up 20p per month, on renewal in June, to £20.86/month - that's with MoreThan. Live on top of hill so no flood risk.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

My house and car insurance were with Direct Line and they both rocketed (about 40% increase if memory isn't too faulty) so they are now with Liverpool Victoria for less than I was paying last year
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It pays to follow the usual advice of shopping around every time your insurance comes up for renewal.
Most firms count on the fact customers are to busy to spend the time shopping around for cheaper quotes.
I Was once with churchill who gave me a much higher quote the following year, I shopped around and got a much cheaper quote from another company who said we act as agents, the name of the company we insure you with is Churchill.
Totally daft, an agent can get me a cheaper price than I can get from the company direct !!