cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance query !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Car Insurance query !

Was talking to some friends the other night, with a few beers, and the talk came around to cars ( as it does ), ... and car insurance... one of the questions raised, none of us seemed to have an answer to....
The question was..... " If I don`t own a car, or any motor vehicle, but someone lends me a car for a long period, like when he goes on foreign trips for 6 months, how can I, get insurance to drive that car. ? "
The obvious answer to that, I thought, would be to be named as a driver on the owners policy... or if he has two / multi vehicle policy, be the named driver for one of those as the primary driver....
Does anyone know if the "named driver" can be placed as the primary driver, or how it would work?
7 REPLIES
Marksfish
Grafter

Re: Car Insurance query !

You can't insure the same vehicle twice for gain, so you have two options from what I can see.
Get your own 3rd party only insurance that will cover you for any damage you do to another party, and hope your friend's insurance will pay out if he has comprehensive. Or, it is possible to be the main driver on a policy even if not the policy holder . My wife is the main driver on my insurance policy and has no access to other vehicles.
Mark
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Marksfish
My wife is the main driver on my insurance policy and has no access to other vehicles.

That's OK as long as she actually does more driving that the policy holder. Otherwise it could be deemed as 'fronting' which is classed as insurance fraud and would invalidate any cover.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Does anyone know if the "named driver" can be placed as the primary driver, or how it would work?

Yes they can. Thats exactly how we have our second car setup. My missus owns it, I've got my policy on it because of my NCD (otherwise she'd have to have a fresh zero NCD policy) and then I've got her as a named driver on my policy listed as the main driver of the car.
Of course the catch here is that if she has an accident, it's my policy that takes the dent while hers (for her main car) remains unaffected (unless she volunteers the 3rd party damage on her policy and deals with our damage herself).
Of course different insurers do different things, some will do this others won't. Some don't care about windscreen claims, others judge you on it etc. I would assume most would accept the setup that I have but many people these days feel a bit awkward asking if its even possible (I know I certainly did but when I did ask they had no problem with it). I suppose to many insurers it's just another pretty common setup.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That seems to be O.K. for "spouse" / "relative" of the owner... but the question was regarding a friend owning, insuring, and then letting a "named driver" have major usage, over a long term period.
Presumably, the best way to find out would be go to an insurance broker,... rather than have to trawl through the on-line sites. ( which was another suggestion of mine! ! )...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

As I said, she is a named driver  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Marksfish
You can't insure the same vehicle twice for gain, so you have two options from what I can see.

Mark

I think you may be wrong. YOU can't insure the same vehicle...but if he wants to insure the vehicle for himself, with the owners permission, then there is no perceived financial advantage to the insurance. Ie, only one person would be making a claim per incident. I think that is how it works.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if the owner of the vehicle doesn't change then notifying the insurance company of a change of status to a different named driver shouldn't be much more of a problem than a phone call and possibly and admin charge
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you