cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance Query!

Preacherlady
Grafter

Car Insurance Query!

Hello, just wondering if anyone can answer this question.  I am am selling my present Yaris privately and buying a new Yaris Hybrid.  The new car comes with three days free insurance.

Can I cancel my present insurance in that instance instead of amending it and paying extra?

then start a new policy at end of the three days?

Or will it be up to the insurance company?

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Car Insurance Query!

there is usually/often a cancellation charge

your best bet is to call them

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When you call them, there may be a "admin charge" plus any increase in premium for changing the details on your insurance....  suggest you go on line, and check to see what your "new" insurance would be, using one of the compare the market  sites....

It may show up a cheaper cover than what you have now, for a different company,... or , possibly, a cheaper cover with your existing company... you can use that information to "haggle" with them to reduce your "new" insurance premium if you need to...

And when your renewal comes up... go to the compare site again, to check that you are still getting good value with your existing company, before allowing them to "auto renew".. (you should get a couple of weeks notice of renewal )...

Preacherlady
Grafter

Have always done the comparisons before renewing anyway.

I know they charge a fee for changing details.  But what I really wondered was that since I will not have the car that is present insured anyhow if they would accept cancellation without a fee?

Especially as for three days I do not need new insurance?

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

You will need to check your policy, many have a fee if you cancel, I know mine does. And it is the same fee that a change of car would incur by some miracle of accounting.Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The insurance is provided so they can register it with the DVLA. Are you actually wanting to change your insurance company? If not, just change the vehicle details with your current insurer to be effective from when the free cover expires. If you are, you would be best to wait until the current policy expires otherwise you may well pay a cancellation fee as others have said.

Preacherlady
Grafter

Thanks for your comments.  Will see what insurance company says.