Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance Price Hike

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Car Insurance Price Hike

Looks like the motorist is going to get hammered again.... or are they.

Don't know where they get their figures from but the average cost of car insurance according to confused.com now stands at £767. For the record, this seventy year old driver pays a nudge over £200 a year to insure his ten year old Fiesta, so maybe it's the youngsters who are getting bashed over the head cost wise.

Personally I'm not that worried as I'm on the cusp of ditching the car in favour of my free bus pass, but I do feel sorry for the average motorist with work commitments and kids to ferry around all over the place.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/car-insurance-to-rise-75-thanks-to-compensation-r...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
55 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Car Insurance Price Hike

Last year, my car insurance was £230.58  comprehensive   £50 excess  12,000 miles..  including paying extra for a "courtesy car" if I needed one.

This year, the "automatic renewal letter" landed on my mat...  £319.63.   

AND... the company had (sneakily) changed my mileage to £10,000   and upped the excess to £100.   no mention of this in the "intro" letter... just in the "policy schedule" info..

I went on line. using Go-compare...to find the cheapest quote,  and the same company offered me an insurance quote of £267.83 .... but I discontinued the "courtesy car" part which was another £20... and had to accept £100 excess, as there was no £50 option available.

I also checked with AVIVA... and DIRECT LINE... but they were well over the £400 mark... Shocked

I even went to a special Tech site, where they install a black box and you pay for how you drive...... which is supposed to bring your premiums down.... Oh NO .... it was £538. .... Shocked

When I phoned up L.V. and eventually got through to the renewals department... I told the woman about the price hike... but she was not really interested... even when I told her about the quote I had got online...

still no chance with haggling with that hag.....

she told me to go on line and do the renewal....

Been with this company for a few years now.... got 9 years  ( maximum ) no claims discount   and no claims since I started driving over 55 years ago...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The black box thing is only really suitable for those who are stigmatised with high premiums (age, not much driving experience, frequent insurance claimant, etc.), those who already have lower premiums wouldn't really benefit from it...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well for past 3 years I have never paid over £200, fully comp. But I have an older car.
When I was with the CIS a few years ago they dropped my NCB from 9 to 6 (the max they offer), not that most insurers offer anything on over 5.
Community Veteran

We're all basically paying through the nose because of the virtually non existent policing on our roads.

On top of this the police part of the council tax also always goes up.

We pay both ends. It's a protection racket in all but name.

Community Veteran

While it is not pleasant to have motor insurance premium increase, the underlying reasons to change the "discount rate" on compensation awards is sound.  It is current practice to "discount" the compensation in respect of expected income arising from investing the award. With current low interest rates the victim will receive less income for rest of their lives, so the Government have adjusted the discount on the court awarded compensation.

Another ripple from the Bankers crisis.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

billnotben wrote:

We pay both ends. It's a protection racket in all but name.

it is, exactly that..  ... that`s what "Insurance" was all about.... Protecting you from financial loss, due to the fault of others....

Community Veteran

True enough but it's moving to close to the "racket" side for my liking.

Minivanman
Hero

Maybe we should all take a step back and ask ourselves, "do I really need a car" but the bias inherent in all of us is going to say yes. Maybe that step back should also look at how many cars there are per household as well. Did we have as many parked up outside twenty or thirty years ago? I don't think so, in fact I know so. 

On the estate where one of my daughters live just about every house has two, three or even four cars - even she has two! Closer to home the neighbour one side of me has three whilst the other has four, all of which adds up to a tidy sum going from each of those houses into the coffers of the insurance fraternity...... sorry, insurance conspirators. 

Car insurance is a racket as you say @billnotben and anybody that says it ain't must have their head up their exhaust pipe.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think most people do need a car these days, years ago my parents would have liked a car but simply could not afford one so it was shopping bags on the bus plus a long walk, these days people seem to have less time so see a car as essential.

We have a primary school nearby and the number of parents with cars dropping their children off is amazing, I remember we all walked to primary school nobody arrived in a car.

The point is that the government and insurance companies know a car is essential to most people and I guess if premiums were doubled there would be no reduction in the number of cars on the road, it's not just car insurance that increases almost everything to do with cars increases on a regular basis.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In this day and age, the "Do I need a car?" question is quite apt, as if you were on jobseekers allowance, the Jobcentre says you have to travel up to 2 hours to get to a job, by car that cold be 100-ish miles, by bus, er, 20 if you're lucky, and with jobs being squeezed out of parts of the UK like the contents of pimples, travelling to a job that is a lot further away than a bus will take you requires a car, so what line of work you take up can rely on your requiring a car...

Of course, figures of people learning to drive have fallen a lot in recent years, probably cos the insurance is such a piddletake for a first-time driver...

Minivanman
Hero

Essential is as essential does I guess @gleneagles but you are dead right about those cars dropping children off at school - not in my day that's for sure and ours was at least a twenty minute away walk away if not more, and with no bus service. Some evenings I would arrive home soaked to the skin having been damp for most of the day! A few of the lads had bikes back in the early 60s but not that many, and my old Dad used to catch the bus to work and then go out in the company van.

The good old days? My giddy aunt they weren't.  

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Last July £229.53 for 53 reg Skoda 1.4 16v Comfort for myself and 3 named drivers ( family for emergency) through LV via CSMA. Now I'm turned 80 I wonder what this year will bring forth.

Are increases also being uppedto a higher rate according areas claims patterns,perhaps?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Each to their own but driving at 80? I'd be bumping up your car insurance to at least a grand a year! Thumbs Up

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Times change: my doctor friend says that 70 is the new fifty, so 80, if not the new 60, certainly isn't 80. If I had t would do a long journey, but generally it's public transport for those, or the services of my daughter.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.