cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance NCD

Fixes: 47

Car Insurance NCD

I've just renewed my car insurance after doing a couple of online quotes.
I've saved £159 on my previous insurer's quote Smiley
My new insurer has requested proof of my No Claims Discount which I have emailed off to them in the form of my previous insurer's quote.
I've never been asked this before so is it a new anti-fraud measure or have I just been lucky?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Car Insurance NCD

Not been asked for "proof" recently..... but it used to be ( about 25 yrs ago ) the "norm" to have to produce your renewal notice to the new insurer as part of the NCD deal....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I was asked last year, but not the time before. No rhyme or reason to it.
Fixes: 104

Last time I renewed was the first time I hadn't been asked for it. Usually had to send the renewal schedule.
Will Moderate For Thanks

Maybe I just had an honest face......until now.
Actually I thought it was a simple matter for an insurer to check a person's NCD entitlement without asking them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Might depend on the insurer as well.
I was asked for it by Aviva but not by a broker.
Community Veteran

It's a while since I changed companies but it seems from the posts so far that there is no specific rule all companies follow. I wonder why Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I believe that many insurers keep records on a common database, if they can get the info from that then they don't need to ask for proof, if they can't get the info (or can't be certain that the record relates to you) then they will usually ask.
dick:quote
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WTF
Grafter

I've changed insurer every year for the last 12 years and I've been asked for proof of my no claims every time - maybe I need to send them a picture of my ever-so-honest face  Roll eyes
What's strange though, is that, despite it being 12 years I've transferred my no claims - and made no claims - the proof somehow still says I haven't claimed for only 7 or 8 years.

9 years on mine but it's more like 25+.
Fixes: 125

I change insurers regularly and I can't remember the last time I needed to send proof of NCD; probably over 15 years.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kmilburn
Grafter

I recently changed insurance provider and they asked for proof,  which has happened every time I've changed insurer..
The odd thing this time is that the two insurers are effectively the same company,  appart from the header, the insurance ceritifcates were identical  (including the signature)
nadger
Rising Star

I wasn't asked for proof of max ncd when I switched insurers in Feb.
I assumed details were on some form of motor insurance database.
Community Veteran

It's interesting how different companies have different rules.  I wonder if inside a company they look at an application and then decide whether or not to ask for proof of NCB?
Fixes: 125

Does protecting your NCD make a difference? I've always protected mine. Not sure why, really, considering I haven't had a fault claim for almost 24 years.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still