cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance - Legal Assistance option

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Car Insurance - Legal Assistance option

It has come around again.... got the renewal notice, and I am scouring the compare sites (moneysupermarket & gocompare) then double checking the actual company recommended.
I have noticed that although you put in (say) £100 voluntary excess. quite a few have a compulsory excess figure - which it appears adds together to increase the actual "excess" you will pay on a claim....
At present, my premium for fully comp with £100 excess is around the £200 for the year.... included in this figure is the "optional" Legal Assistance, cover....
now I am wondering "what do I need it for?"  "am I paying for something I don`t really need".... (and incidentally over the past 45 years motoring have never used) 
the premium for "Legal Assistance" varies from about £20 to £35 , depending on company. so it is a saving on the yearly premium...
I am inclined to put that "saving" on to the "courtesy car" option.... should I need it in case the car is a write off... (I do have another company that provides rescue service to get me home ).
what are your views? 
  Do I need this "Legal Assistance" or is it a "legal" rip-off.... in the same way as the "payment protection insurance" scandal......on loans/mortgages
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Car Insurance - Legal Assistance option

I think, but am not sure, that it covers you for legal expenses incurred in trying to get your excess back from the other driver's insurance company (if it is their fault) when you don't get it back.
Also it covers you for claiming for personal injury etc.
http://www.whatprice.co.uk/advice/car-legal-expense-cover.html
Community Veteran

Thanks for the linky Jim.... have read that, and appreciate what it says........
however, with modern solicitors/legal firms now advertising "had an accident... not your fault.... we will work for you.... - no win - no fee... "
... is this  "legal assistance" still worth it?
Community Veteran

Actually.... just noticed these two "comments" below the original information

Date Added: Friday 5th March 2010
"Legal cover is an absolute waste of money. Don't be conned by the insurance companies. I should know,I am a claims lawyer."
Denny White

and

Date Added: Thursday 1st October 2009
"Car Insurance companies add legal protection to reduce their losses. You will find that there will be a limit on how much they will pay and if your legal costs exceed this limit you will be liable. Now some truth... If you do not have legal cover and the accident was not your fault and you are ijured, you can claim by employing a solicitor on a no win no fee basis and this is limitless. If however, you do have legal cost insurance, then the solicitor cannot act on a no win no fee basis and you will be liable for the any outstanding legal costs. Beware and research your position carefully. This is not to say don't cover yourself, just be aware of what the impact will be."
LegalEagle

From the second quote... I think I heard about the "limitations" as to the amount of claim. some time ago...

Further views on this would be appreciated... Smiley
Community Veteran

Last year I had an accident which resulted in my car being replaced by my insurance company, Aviva.  They put me in touch with a firm of solicitors who handled a claim on my behalf and got me nearly £2000 from the other driver's insurance company. This was for whiplash and a few bruises.  Well worth the small additional cost.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think also it covers YOU against any legal action.
I know I've got it and frankly knowing my luck doing away with it would then see me needing it. If you're a regular victim of sods law like me, then keep it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I also have legal protection as well as recovery and lifetime bonus guarantee - bumps up the premiums with MoreThan but I couldn't be doing with the agro if I was involved in an accident.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Shutter,
.................£200 fully com ! What company are you with ?