cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance/Air Bag Problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Car Insurance/Air Bag Problem

Last October swmbo got a letter from the DVSA regarding faulty airbags on her car, seems that if the airbags are deployed they may cause injury to those in the car, the same letter indicated the dealership would be in touch to make the necessary arrangements following this recall.
As of yesterday we had heard nothing so phoned to check what was going on........" yes we are aware of the problem but awaiting for the parts required to come into stock."
Anyway the thing that concerns me most is if injury was caused by these faulty airbags what would the stance of the insurance company be ? Is it not highly likely they would say you were driving a car with a known fault therefore we are not liable ?
The other question that comes to mind is the MOT which the car passed several months ago but if there is a known fault should it not have failed, true the airbags cannot be tested but could potentially be dangerous.
On a more broader issue a number of cars have been recalled for a variety of reasons from faulty clutches to emission tests, so legally how can they pass a MOT or in certain cases not invalidate their insurance policy until the necessary work has been done to rectify the fault(s)
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Car Insurance/Air Bag Problem

If it can`t be tested...... it can`t be failed.....
also it is unlikely to be on the "schedule" of items to be checked during an M.O.T. inspection...
As for the insurance side... best to get in contact with them and ask what their "policy" is regarding such problems.....
Any answers given on this forum regarding your insurance cover, would be, most likely, speculation.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

a known fault may not necessary mean failed MOT.
an MOT only tests specific things to specific levels.
in terms of the airbag, the MOT only states that if they are fitted the warning light should not be lit.
a faulty clutch would not be an MOT failure.
emissions tests - an MOT can only test what the engine is emitting at the time of the test. it might start spewing smoke 30 seconds after you leave the garage - but it still passed the MOT.
an MOT is essentially worthless in that it only says the car was road worthy at that very specific time of the test.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Anyway the thing that concerns me most is if injury was caused by these faulty airbags what would the stance of the insurance company be ? Is it not highly likely they would say you were driving a car with a known fault therefore we are not liable ?
As regards that, if it's the Honda recall then somehow they've got away with it not being a 'Safety recall'.
Honda's spokesman also claimed this is "purely a preventative recall" and not an immediate safety issue, so the cars will still be driveable and safe.
So there shouldn't be any problem insurance wise
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My own car is a Honda & I got a similar letter around the same time but in my case they did contact me and the work was done about a month ago.
swmbo has a Toyota Yaris but the comments you make about Honda no doubt apply to the Toyota and other cars with similar problems.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Honda & Toyota are both down to problems with Takata air bags so the effects ( and recall status ) will be the same.