cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Hire - option on CDW

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Car Hire - option on CDW

Does anybody take the 'optional extra' of CDW on car hire agreements.
Would like some opinions please, is it worth it
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Car Hire - option on CDW

If you rent frequently ( or for long periods ) then this http://www.insurance4carhire.com/index.asp?langID=1&refID=1666&curID=1 is worth considering. Then you don't need to take the rental company's CDW.
Community Veteran

That insurance carries a £2000 excess.  Also some hire companies in the US will not now accept separate CDW but require you to buy from them.  Worth checking out with the company UK office.
I always take CDW when I hire in the US.  I would say it's essential.
Community Veteran

That insurance carries a £2000 excess.

You misunderstand, it provides insurance for up to £2000 excess. You decline the rental companies CDW excess cover, accept the excess ( typically up to £1000 )  and if they charge you for damage ( up to the excess ) then the insurance reimburses you.
Community Veteran

Having had another look at the policy it only pays the excess that the car hire company levy on any damage.  Looks like you still have to pay for CDW if you want it.  When I hire there is no excess in the event of a claim so the insurance would not be needed.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MisterW
You misunderstand, it provides insurance for up to £2000 excess. You decline the rental companies CDW excess cover, accept the excess ( typically up to £1000 )  and if they charge you for damage ( up to the excess ) then the insurance reimburses you.

Yes, you're right on the cover.  What happens if there is major damage to the car that is far in excess of £2000?  You may also be liable for the third party damage as well.  £2000 won't go far IMO.
Community Veteran

Yes, you're right in that you need to take the rental companies basic CDW which is normally included these days. The problem is that they still have an excess on that unless you pay extra ( typically £4 or £5 a day ) and in Europe they still exclude damage to windows, wheels and tyres etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Standard procedure when hiring cars in the states for our company was to take CDW - we were covered by our own insurance in Europe
itsme
Grafter

I use http://www.worldwideinsure.com/WWTswitcher.php?policy=ERI&partnerID=null&partner=null for the excess cover which is normally called the optional CDW by the car hire companies. The standard CWD is normally included by default unless you specify differently.
To the OP original question is it worth it, for me yes as most of my car hiring is for ski holidays so the risk of hitting something when driving on snow and ice is higher than normal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Never tried it on hire cars as I've only ever once used one and that was because their garage services cocked up a repair on our car (and thus they lent us one of their hire cars with insurance thrown in) but I never understand how a lot of people don't realise they can take out a temporary extension on their normal policy to cover another car.
I do it frequently - just ring them up, tell them I need temporary cover on another car with registration xyz and they tell me how much and take it by DD. Done.
Last time I did it was to collect a car from Blackpool... and I got pulled by the fuzz the very same evening who then couldn't quite grasp this themselves and kept trying to accuse me of mis-using my policy to illegally drive another vehicle. Needless to say after making his enquiries through the MIB I never heard back from him.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This works of course in the UK but your insurer wouldn't cover you for driving abroad regularly and especially not in the US.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Never tried it on hire cars as I've only ever once used one and that was because their garage services cocked up a repair on our car (and thus they lent us one of their hire cars with insurance thrown in) but I never understand how a lot of people don't realise they can take out a temporary extension on their normal policy to cover another car.

Have you read your policy? My last two policies covered a loan car when supplied by a garage when the car is in for a service or body repairs. Also the agreement you sign for the loan car normally will state that no insurance cover is supplied.
Community Veteran

Checked the 2 companies I use in the US and they do not have an excess.  They price for what they call 'super' CDW which has no excess for the driver.  Will check the European companies later.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Artmo, itsme, okrzynska, Oldjim, MisterW
Many thanks for the insight into CDW.
The car hire in question was in Iceland, I'd been given a company car for my stay and wanted to rent something for the final week, in the end decided against.
(Sometimes Iceland considers itself part of Europe, other times as part of the USA............then again Icelanders consider themselves independent)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

see they are not satisfied with all our cod, now they are trying to get all our mackerel Crazy