cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Diagnostics

Fixes: 47

Car Diagnostics

I have bought one of these and this primarily for checking and/or clearing fault codes.
More expensive dedicated pieces of kit are available but this setup is so simple to use with my phone or tablet and can potentially save me a lot of money.
The information it provides is extensive and if you go on a run with it active it will record in real time various parameters for later analysis.
It's geekiness with financial advantages.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car Diagnostics

The saving over going to a garage/dealer is massive.
A lot of dealers will charge you an hours labour just to check for fault codes - which takes no more than 30 secs to actually do!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I went for a simpler version Not this one but the same. Not having any tablets with bluetooth on them.
Then found nothing wrong, but at least I can check in the future, I know KF wanted to charge me a small fortune for resetting my ABS light on my old Mondeo a couple of years ago.
Community Veteran

An ABS light will usually be staying on for a good reason.  Wink In my experience the commonest cause is a failing sensor which will stop it working when you need it most.  Cry
Resetting enables a check on which one is throwing the error and how soon it returns - all good input to the repair process and hopefully better safety.
On most cars temporary ABS "glitches" are reset automatically by the system as it runs a series of checks every time you start up and move off.

@HB I bought one of those quite a while ago but I didn't know then about the cheap and simple bluetooth/wifi/USB devices.
These devices are great for people who like to fiddle around with settings to try for more power or economy but on a more mundane level a quick fault code scan every 3 or 4 months could save lots of cash by hi-lighting potential issues.
My son's better half's car had a flashing diagnostic light and a quick scan revealed a faulty O2 sensor which had recently been replaced along with the exhaust system.
The fault code had not reset and was very distracting to the driver so I reset it and now all is well.
Community Veteran

@HPS it was caused by a faulty sensor, but they replaced the wheel bearing on that wheel then the light stayed on. They claimed nothing to do with them, I eventually sent a stroppy email to the complaints department and got it fixed.
Community Veteran

All connected of course, my most recent ABS oddness was actually caused by a failing wheel bearing moving the reluctor ring (part of the hub) out of alignment at times.
After the bearing was fixed all was OK. Luck of the draw.  Cool
As @Strat noted a regular scan is excellent for highlighting potential issues. I scan both of my cars every few months and more frequently as service/MOT time looms.

On a Megané I had the steering was tracked incorrectly by a 'professional' which put excessive strain on an outer CV joint gaiter.
The gaiter eventually pulled off the wheel hub leaving the metal clamping ring to rattle around loosely and destroy the ABS sensor costing me £75 to purchase a new one (I fitted it myself).
The hard part was getting the remains of the old sensor out of the hub.
The car was a 1999 model and didn't have an OBD system Sad
Community Veteran

Hmm my 1999 Focus has it  Wink But it is touch and go at that age.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have one as well, not uncommon for a dealership to charge up to £90 just to put your car on their computer and tell you what's wrong with it, if no error codes are showing they will still charge you despite not finding a fault and not all intermittent faults show up as I found to my (very expensive) cost on a Diesel ford focus.
PowerLee
Rising Star

I have a basic EOBD fault reader, on the odd occasion someone at work asked if I could plug in to there car to see why the light was on, I used to earn a breakfast out of them.  Cheesy
I've also got the Peugeot Planet / Citroen Lexia diagnostic software & leads, this is basically the dealer level access apart from software updates, this is also the reason why I still need a Windows XP hard drive for my laptop.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm... Interesting, geeky bit, Strat..... on the one hand I can see the advantages of "pre-knowledge" of "possible" faults...
on the other hand,... with 207,000 on the clock.. I`d be scared to watch it do its stuff whilst driving ! ! ! ...
Talk about out of the frying pan...... ! ! 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
The car was a 1999 model and didn't have an OBD system Sad

We have a 1998 renault which has OBD / OBD2 so I'm surprised your megane didn't. We also had two 1997 cars that were the same as the 98 and both of those had it too. Heck we once had a 97 megane that had it so I'm shocked at how drastic the changes from Renault are.
Thanks for pointing out the BT OBD / app though, I will keep those bookmarked..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

If it did have the socket I never found it and I had been all over that car in the time I had it.
Anyway it's long gone now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

On our meg it was well tucked away above the fuses / relays under the steering wheel. When I say well tucked away I mean very - the only reason i knew it was there was because we had renault do a diag on it and i watched where he plugged in and then went hunting later at home  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!