cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Breakdown/Rescue renewal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Car Breakdown/Rescue renewal

About 6 years ago, I had a Montego 2.0 diesel estate.... a bit of an old banger, but it had 7 seats and could tow a caravan.... (which I didn`t like.... so we sold it (caravan)  after a year)... however, the engine wasn`t in the best of health, and one day, blew the headgasket, about 25 miles from home.... until that time, I didn`t have any breakdown cover,  (AA RAC etc...) so I had to rely on a friend to get me out of trouble.... problem was, it was very late at night, and they didn`t fancy coming out and towing me in the dark.... despite the roads being quiet.... they kindly arranged for their rescue service to come and piggyback us home... Lesson learnt... got myself a "Green Flag" rescue service for about £65 .... good job I did too... got the car fixed up, and kept it running, BUT.... got my money`s worth in the next 12 months, as I called them out 6 times and got a lift home each time... !....
Anyway, since then I have changed to EuropAssistance, for the same service at £66 cos GreenFlag wanted to up the price on renewal.!..!..!..
so for the past 5 years I have paid £66 and thought it was worth the money,.... had a couple of call outs, 1 roadside fix, and 1 piggyback and one tow home....
today I received my regular "moneysaving expert" (Martin Lewis of tv fame) email with the latest "bargains" and moneysavers.... he had a link to some sites for cheaper breakdown cover, so I thought, mine is due on Friday, I`ll have a scout around.... went to google and put in "Roadside Assistance".... and the first link was to a comparison site... here you can choose the type of cover you want, and they come back with the companies that provide it.... (i.e. basic, silver , bronze, copper, gold, - depending on how many features you are prepared to pay for....!)
I chose silver, as I didn`t want european cover, and home start. (I have a local mobile mech  and I live on a hill! !).. checking out the companies with similar cover, they started off at £25.95.... however, some of the cheaper companies have an excess on some items... and a mileage exclusion zone, or delivery radius.... so you need to check out the policy KEY FACTS...and then choose.... I went for one at £29.95, as it hasn`t any excesses.. and gives me the same cover as I have with EuropAssistance... (including 6 callouts, and 1 hour roadside assistance - before taking you home, your destination, or a garage.... your choice at time)...
so heads up.,... if yours is due.... or you haven`t got one... ..... Wink
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Car Breakdown/Rescue renewal

I currently have a year's free breakdown with my new car - hope I don't need it in the first year though.  After that my bank will offer basic breakdown cover free of charge and I can top that up if I make an extra payment.
Another good place to look is your car insurer.  Aviva offer some good deals.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

With my RBS account I get Green Flag cover with Home Start included.  I've only had to use it once and it worked well.
Phil
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: shutter

I chose silver, as I didn`t want european cover, and home start. (I have a local mobile mech  and I live on a hill! !)..

I believe starting a car fitted with a Cat using a hill is not a good idea.
Lurker
Grafter

I have full AA cover included with my bank account (tip: we have a joint account specifically so we can both access the benefits, but only have to pay a single fee between us)
I've used them many times (regular readers will know my car is pretty *ahem* rubbish.)
We also get a raft of relatively useless benefits, but we do take advantage of the mobile phone insurance and travel insurance. (Both of which are more comprehensive than many of the other more obvious providers of such policies.)
I don't think we are saving money the way we do it, but I reckon it works out around the same (and with no hassle relating to increasing premiums etc/renewal dates.)
nadger
Rising Star

My cover, including Europe, is included with my MoreThan car insurance - possibly not the cheapest way.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: itsme

Why would it make a difference? You start the engine by turning it with the starter or by turning it using the transmission. The effect is the same, surely?
Community Veteran

Agree with Denzil...... when a diesel engine turns over, it creates compression in the cylinders, this compression of diesel fuel and air, then ignites and so the piston is forced back down the cylinder, which then perpetuates ...... how the initial "turning over" of the engine is effected, should have no effect on the Cat..... (unless it is asleep under the bonnet.! ! !  Cheesy )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This works for me every time...  http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/works01.htm
Uses the same people that the RAC and AA call out if they can't get you going, only from square one on each incident. The success rate is very good apparently. And recommended by Moneysavingexpert!!
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery
Don't forget that "free" bank account services almost always cost a premium for that particular bank account.
Community Veteran

Their Premium is £37, and you have to have cash in hand, or a good usable credit card/direct debit card available at the time of breakdown, then you have to claim back your expenses from them
The company I was with.... (premium £66) did all that and you didn`t have to have a penny in your pocket. and also didn`t have to claim back (hoping it wouldn`t put you out of pocket for the full claim)
The company I have signed up with , give the same cover as the previous one, and it costs me £30.....fix it by the roadside for 1 hour,   full recovery to home from anywhere in the uk.  and other stuff.... all included.  no claim forms , no excess....
by switching to them I saved £36 and by going back to (by letter invite) to the same MOT place as last year, (valued customer) got my MOT today at £25.00  so well chuffed ....
Edit, and from Moneysaving expert...

Which is better?
Of course, automatic service companies are more convenient, yet pay and claim tend to be cheaper. In terms of the 'call out time' there's little difference; this depends far more on the specific company than the type of policy.

even he can get it wrong.! ! !
Community Veteran

Not quite correct...  you have the choice of being attended to by a company that will bill you in due course. You are asked when you make a call out if you have any means of paying with you.
Community Veteran

What part of....

and you have to have cash in hand, or a good usable credit card/direct debit card available

is "not quite correct"  ?
If you are referring to the " cash in hand bit."... many people still don`t have credit/debit cards so would need to have "cash in hand" for when the bill needs to be paid,
and the "usable credit card/direct debit card" is also true,.... many rescue organisiations require you to have your card number, or swiped, at the time of rescue....
Community Veteran

Neither! You don't need any cash or cards with you at all. When you ask for assistance you say that you would like a company that can send a bill to your home address, and that's what happens. The only downside is that if you're stony broke while out on the road you can't give the guy a tip if he does you a good job! And that's only a downside for the mechanic.
Community Veteran

'Ipso Facto!..... getting home will still be an "added extra" to the initial £37 premium.....  so you WILL need ready cash, OR a usable credit card, to pay that bill....
With the company I was with, and the one I am with now, there is NO COST to me, to get my car and contents home.... from anywhere in the UK....  ( I have paid my £30 up front, and nothing else to pay) Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
Quote from: itsme

Why would it make a difference? You start the engine by turning it with the starter or by turning it using the transmission. The effect is the same, surely?

I believe it's to do with unburned gasses collecting in the Cat. I know that the manual for Toyota's have a no push start statement.
http://www.catalyticonverters.com/blog/category/catalytic-converter-maintenance/
Problems with a catalytic converter can stem from a number of causes. It may have been physically damaged, perhaps by a speed bump or excessively rough terrain. It can be contaminated (usually if leaded fuel is used by mistake), or the monolith can literally melt down if it comes into contact with unburned fuel. This can occasionally happen when the car is run on empty, push or tow-started, or has a defect in the ignition or carburetor system]