cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Breakdown Cover

salmo
Rising Star

Car Breakdown Cover

I've just had my renewal notice for breakdown cover from Green Flag. It has risen by over 15% despite not having called them out. They will come down in price a little.  My car is 9 years old. I can get a similar level of cover from companies such as Rescue My Car or Autoaid. at less than half the price. Has anybody any experience of the smaller companies?  I have looked at reviews but most refer to the ease of use the website and not how good they are if you have a breakdown. 

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Car Breakdown Cover

@salmo

Sorry, unable to answer your question, however I am with Greenflag, have been with them for years and despite no call out until a couple of weeks ago they continued to increase the cost of my cover.

Despite me telling them the car was undrivable a van arrived 57 minutes later and a mechanic confirmed what I had told them so a further wait for nearly another hour before a pickup truck arrived.

So I will be changing to another company and may well change company each year as this seems the way to get the best deal.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@salmo  & @gleneagles  both of you need to check out  "Start Rescue"...

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6tng8-Xc2wIVCJ3tCh1DBQfWEAAYASAAEgK7...

I`ve been with them for a few years now... ( more  than 10 ! ) and whenever I have needed ... they have responded within the hour... mostly it has been a case of a "lift" home... so it has been worth it... I am on their 2 star tariff, and this year it was about £25.00  as the car is older  by a year... so it increased from the "basic" premium...

salmo
Rising Star

@shutter

Thanks Shutter. They are one of the companies that I am considering as they are about half the price of Green Flag.

8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you are interested try this

INSTRUCTIONS: Enter the code during checkout. MVC58481599A for a 15% discount from Hotdeals 

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover

Brian A

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Green Flag Breakdown Cover. I have been with Green Flag for quite a number of years. I never accept their written renewal quote but go online to get a quote as if I were a new customer. These quotes are always considerably cheaper than the written quote. I then phone Green Flag and they will always honour the cheaper online quote. Doing it this way means that all your details; phone numbers, etc will remain on your record. Also, I always make sure that Green Flag do not use the Continuous Payment facility.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@shutter

Thanks for that link, their most expensive option is over £ 40 cheaper than what I was paying Greenflag and they cover far more things than GF.

Will certainly be using them when my current cover expires in a few months.

salmo
Rising Star

@cyrilclark1

Thanks. That is what I've done for the past few years and like you I stress that I do not want continuous payment. Even the internet quote this year is twice the price of Rescue My Car etc. I think the age of my car goes against me. I have been with Green Flag for about 15 years and only used them once.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

No one mentioned LV- Britannia Rescue. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern Obviously for the richer people.....

"with prices from £30.00 "    Shocked

Whiteliner15
Hooked

Hi     byI have been with the aa. Autoaid and rac. When my renewal came in for rac it was £150.......I checked green flag and for the same service it was£80........I phoned RAC back to cancel and they gave me the same price and 3 months extra cover. I never felt secure with autoaid ...don't know why even although I never used them.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@shutter You're pricking my conscience. I must get my Jag out and pack it with items for the food bank.Funny

It used to be, IRRC, only available to certain affiliated groups e.g. civil servants, but has widened its clientele. Naturally affiliates get a discount.

Like may I used AA, but after events like their going to the wrong location and claiming I wasn't there; from their POV true, but from mine not, and not even then apologetic or helpful, I left them.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 148

Years ago I signed up for membership of the RAC.

I went to visit my dad and when I came out my car would not start.

I did the usual checks and finally called the RAC.

I was advised a 20 minutes wait for an engineer.

In the mean time I did a couple more checks and pinned the issue down to the ignition coil.

2 hours since my call, no RAC guy so I walked down to the local car spares shop and bought a replacement coil.

Back at my car my dad confirmed no RAC while I was away so I fitted the coil and drove home.

I cancelled my RAC membership.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

Ah yes, I remember those  cars  days....... when you could open the bonnet and actually see and get to all the necessary parts, without dismantling the engine first. !   

Community Veteran

I'm lucky - my car is covered free by Lloyds Bank. It's part of my account benefits. I've only had to use the service once and lloyds sent the AA who took about 20 minutes to get to me.