cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannabis

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cannabis

Cleggy and some of his mates are calling for cannabis to be made legal, claiming that it could save the country money by the tax raised and savings made by not jailing people or using police or courts time.

Some American states have already made the possession and growing of cannabis legal but the Dutch who have been taking a liberal approach to the subject claim that cannabis does harm to users and this view is backed up by many medical experts although a few take a different view.

My own view is that people should have the freedom to do what they like providing it causes no harm or inconvenience  to others but the cannabis topic is tricky, if it does physical or mental health harm to users in the long run then taxpayers will be left to pick up the bill, equally regular use might make people unemployable.

Simply can't make my mind up on this one but I guess some of you will hold strong views one way or another

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Cannabis

Smoking tobacco,... same thing.... it is addictive... make it illegal, and people will do anything to get it... put a tax on it.. and people will do anything to lessen the tax burden of using it... e.g. smuggling via excess amounts in luggage, etc.

smoking tobacco is not good for your health... and yet, it was deemed so, in it`s early years !... canaibis?  same situation.. some get a benefit from it viz a viz arthiritic pain releif, but they will still become addicted to it, as in the case of other pain killers,... morphine and similar.

so the users will need more,... they are then likely to continue down the path of crime as easy money to obtain cash for their habit, as they do now,... and those really addicted to it, will cost the health service and the courts just as much to rehab them,

smoking has become an anti social habit, and indeed the powers that be, have decided that second hand smoking is just as serious a problem healthwise, as to ban it indoors  in public places, and even in cars with kids under 18....

canabis smoking in those situations will also give the same secondhand problems... would you like your busdriver/taxidriver/pilot etc to be allowed to smoke weed all day long, and then go and do their job... as is the case with smoking tobacco now..... ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I would legalize it !! , just think how much extra tax they could make Thumbs Up and save the police time

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm all for making it legal with heavy tax implications and a caveat restricting users of Cannabis, Tobacco and Alcohol to certain NHS services.

DAK Is Khat legal?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Meanwhile, the DUIs will continue, with potheads behind the wheel not aware of their surroundings cos they'd rather be stoned out of their mind than being able to control their vehicle...

Fixes: 125

Legalise cannabis?

The government would be sure to make a hash of itFunny

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Why stop at Cannabis.

There's a huge tax potential in legalising all currently illegal addictive drugs.

What a slippery slope that would be.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

Meanwhile, the DUIs will continue, with potheads behind the wheel not aware of their surroundings cos they'd rather be stoned out of their mind than being able to control their vehicle...

Bit like those drivers using mobile phones, not aware of what's going on around them and causing accidents ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

Bit like those drivers using mobile phones

And drunks, and pill poppers, and all that, they should remove seatbelts and take the airbags out of their cars and replace them with rusty spikes, just to make sure they don't reoffend... Crazy

shylok
Rising Star

journeys wrote:

I'm all for making it legal with heavy tax implications and a caveat restricting users of Cannabis, Tobacco and Alcohol to certain NHS services.

DAK Is Khat legal?

Heavy taxation like that on cigarettes will just strengthen the blackmarket of under the counter sales.

I think marijuana is now legal in five usa states? however i think this country will be one of the last to implement its legalization, its one of the issues Jeremy Corbyn should be leading on as part of a plan to reform drug laws but sadly is not, this includes the sanctioning of supervised injection sites for heroin addicts which is happening in some of the more progressive European countries.

nanotm
Pro

corbyns pro temperance so he'll be unlikely to lead the fight on anything like that....

that aside if they legalise it they should legalise only the old stuff, none of this modern hybrid cack, having said that hemp is legal (although you need a licence to grow it) but hemp doesn't get you high is non addictive and works wonders for joint pain anxiety and sleep disorders, but the high THC stuff the stoners grow isn't much good medicinally I would still legalise it but only via licenced growers and sell it on the street (make it so anyone with growing space can apply for the licence as well but require it checked to ensure its not over strength or toxic)

one of the biggest problems with cannabis growing is the plants will grow in pretty toxic places but they leach the toxins into the plants (which is why some growers pour glue into the soil so it's got extra brain killing effects) but unless its cheap to buy in ready to use format (resin /oil/dried) its not going to make much money in the long run as the criminals will just bootleg and undercut like there doing with fags and baccy since the taxes applied got too steep

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you