cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remind me please?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can you remind me please?

I'm an admirer of good after-dinner speakers. One such was a ex-air traffic controller roundabout the 90's or possibly before. He was a brilliant speaker and recorded some of his always very witty speeches, a sort of refined British Bob Newhart.
Does anybody remember his name and if his recordings are still available?  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
16 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Can you remind me please?

David Gunson.
I remember my father has one of his tapes - "What Goes Up Must Come Down". Very very funny.
Next time I visit I must remember to borrow the tape and transcribe it to CD - ACS Law permitting.  Wink
Not young enough to know everything
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Ah, I see the CD came out in 2006, and MP3 download is available too.  http://tinyurl.com/28upqu8
Reviews  http://tinyurl.com/22on482
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: 4C
David Gunson.
"What Goes Up Must Come Down".

Or might do, anyway.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4924716
with added birdies
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I love it  Cheesy Cheesy
thejudge
Grafter

On a similar note, how many of my fellow oldsters remember this man?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Bates
Simon_M
Grafter

Me for one.
I even have my own Blaster Bates type story. When I was 8, my dad achieved his lifetime ambition to run his own farm (well, not exactly his, but as a tenant). It needed a lot of work, including rather a lot of tree stumps removing. So a couple of guys turned up - not Blaster Bates himself (I don't think so anyway - might have been, for all my 8 year old self would have known) but in the same line of work.
As you can imagine, I wasn't missing this for anything & 1960s 'elf & safety being a bit different to today's, they let me tag along with them. I got to lay the wires from the explosives & joy of joys, push the button to send bits of tree stump flying through the air.
So you can imagine my double delight to discover the Blaster Bates stories in my teens.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C
David Gunson.

Thank you Martin. My life is now complete.
If you like dry English humour, this is an absolute must, get it before this thread causes a world-wide shortage.
I'm laughing already and I haven't heard it again yet...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I recall he also used to run fear-of-flying courses at Heathrow and appeared in some of the BBC Airport programmes in that capacity a few times.

For the recoird, David Gunson is not the same person who appeared in the Airport series, I don't know who that was but, he also had a very dry wit and may also have delivered the odd after-dinner speech.
Sorry if I misled anyone.

Community Veteran

droll.  thanks.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It did some searching and came up with Dave Gunson but dismissed him because he was an Air Traffic Controller not a BA captain and evidently did not "die quite young" as he is still offering his services as a speaker!
I have found no reference to him running "fear of flying" courses quite the contrary "Dave’s smooth approach and impeccable timing does nothing to allay the fears of frequent flyers, leaving them with the nagging doubt that it’s all true."
http://www.speakerscorner.co.uk/file/b48428e53bc5964569eaca8fd57fd3ee/dave-gunson-air-traffic-contol...
Community Veteran

@alanf, please refer to my previous post 8.
Bit of a mix-up on my part, for which I have already apologised. However I believe the BA captain in question here who appeared in Airport, did indeed sadly die during the filming of the series, I vaguely recall there was a credit dedication to him at the end of one of the programmes.
But other than a great wit, there is no other connection between the two as far as I know.
Edit: I have also edited my OP to correct the error.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

does google help 
Anyone remember Douglas Ward, BA captain who did one of the fear of flying ..
and sadly, he died even before the program hit the screens
Community Veteran

Yes, thanks pierre. that is whom I referred to.  His contributions were shown with his families consent.
Whilst working at Heathrow, I almost certainly came in working contact with him a number of times, by sight if not to speak to, although I probably didn't know it was he amongst very many.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Petlew for reminding me of this classic after dinner speech, and thanks to Simon M for the link.
Sometimes fondly remembered 'classics' turn out to be disappointing on re-discovery, but listening yesterday was an unalloyed pleasure.  Smiley