cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we get a refund on our over priced car fuel please?!

shalom2010
Grafter

Can we get a refund on our over priced car fuel please?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22533993
If this is proved, maybe we should all get a reduction in petrol/diesel for the next few years - well it's a nice thought Smiley
NB: Trust that's better on your eyes now Kelly!
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Can We Get A Refund On Our Over Priced Car Fuel Please?!

Well, the top guy at the RAC doesn`t seem to think we will.......
RAC technical director David Bizley said: "The Office of Fair Trading inquiry concluded at the end of January that the UK fuel market was operating fairly and not against the best interests of motorists, and therefore that a Competition Commission investigation was not needed.

Wonder if he has shares in any of the oil industry ......
And also there will be a lot of "egg on face" if the EU ant-trust guys find out there has been "collusion" to rig the prices.....
interestingly... "Fair Fuel" sent me a similar email this morning.....
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Your bumpy caps title makes my eyes funny!  I think I need more coffee this morning  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I got the FFUK email this morning too.
If you ask me it's all political. Cameron is announcing an in-out referendum and suddenly BP is dragged into a price rigging investigation. BP and MI5 have been known to work in cooperation over the years to establish oil rights abroad. This was explained a year or two back on a TV documentary about the recent spill BP had abroad. The show went on to explaon how BP and the government were very cosy.
I reckon this is the EU trying to force the UK governments hand. Cameron won't want BP or any of the oil companies being exposed for price rigging after an investigation under his leadership concluded the oil market is working well. It would destroy his leadership.
I may be entirely wrong but the timing of this right after cameron is making a fuss about this referendum .. well maybe its just coincidence..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Someone once said there's no place for coincidence in politics.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Certainly not one as far fetched as that one Wink
Community Veteran

Even if it's proved all that will happen is a big fine.
And like the banks and energy suppliers, this will only end up in higher prices as the costs gets passed on to us mugs.
As the government takes a cut and benefits from artificial high prices maybe they should be investigated as well.
Maybe we will all get tax refunds, not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Even if it's proved all that will happen is a big fine.

I doubt it but even if it did, it would be contested, dragged out and eventually once the media have forgotten about it the whole thing would be brushed under the carpet and just carry on again.
It's a very valuable cash cow to our government. The higher the fuel price the more they rake in too. They won't allow the oil companies to be exposed IF there is rigging going on.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Re: Can we get a refund on our over priced car fuel please?!

Having read the article I would have expected the 'daily mail set' to be screaming blue murder at yet more interference from Europe, but then this is about investigating price rigging, so they're keeping their mouths shut, I see. Keeping their mouths shut and rubbing their hands with glee in the hope of cheaper fuel costs. If this all gets brushed under the carpet then there'll be shouts - shouts of "useless Europe, it's a waste of our money".
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why don't we all rally round our 'Facebook' friends and get everyone to boycott BP and Shell for a few weeks. This might force them to cut their prices at the pumps to encourage business, then as we all migrate to them as they are cheaper the other oil companies would surely have to follow suit.
That would be a win win for the British motorist that is long overdue !  Smiley
Community Veteran

I have seen this tried a number of times in the US.  It has an effect for a few days but not on a permanent basis.
Fixes: 47

Sign the FairFuelUK petition.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Requires sign-up but local prices can be checked using petrolprices.com
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
Sign the FairFuelUK petition.

Already have done.....
This is, I think, THE most effective tool to keep down, or reduce, fuel prices to the motorist... be they businesses or humble pleasure seekers (!).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Sadly the only real way to cut petrol prices is for the gov to reduce the HORRENDOUS tax it puts on it. The real cost of fuel is <50p/l the rest is TAX.