Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this be true?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Can this be true?

Seems that buying plonk at £5 a bottle (c'mon, we've all done it) is really a daft thing to do as on average at that price only 35p goes on what is in the bottle. I already sort of knew that but it's good to be reminded and of late I have tended to pay anything between 8 and £10 a bottle anyway. We drink less of the stuff as a result of course which is perhaps not a bad thing and it does tastes so much better - well usually anyway. Thumbs Up

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/mar/29/why-pays-to-spend-tenner-bottle-of-wi...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Can this be true?

Most wines these days are cheating anyway, it's just grape juice concentrate, vodka (or some other cheap base alcohol) and water, you can make it at home quite easily... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

of late I have tended to pay anything between 8 and £10 a bottle anyway. We drink less of the stuff as a result of course which is perhaps not a bad thing and it does tastes so much better - well usually anyway. Thumbs Up

Of course,... there is the "perceived" tasting better, due to increased cost..  Undecided

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I tend to like particular named wines such as Pinotage from South Africa, Rioja from Spain, or the various Alsace wines. So if i see them on offer that's what i buy. I am aware that at £5 pounds if not on offer most of the cost is in the glass bottle and used to be the cardboard container!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

@shutter

"... there is the "perceived" tasting better, due to increased cost"

Indeed there is Thumbs Up

As well as expectation sight also plays a part so here's a good test I was shown. Try putting a blindfold on and finding out if you can tell the difference between a red and a white wine of similar quality and preferably the same brand. Not always easy to do as I have found out - so what does that tells us?  

As for those that spend a £100 or so on bottle of the stuff..... Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Seems that buying plonk at £5 a bottle

That's a bit pricey for me.  I usually buy it at around £3-£4.

Minivanman
Hero

Warning, wine snobbery alert! 

Well at that price you cannot complain although decant it first for a few hours? 

Surprisingly you can get some decent stuff for less than a fiver and as a lover of light reds, when money is tight (as it often is) then a Côtes du Rhône Villages is usually a safe bet however the price. 

I do have backup though, home brewed beer. Treacle Stout on the bubble as we speak Smiley

Fixes: 47

If someone bought me a bottle of wine for Christmas there would still be plenty in the bottle at Easter.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat are you dropping hints for next Christmas prezzy?   or complaining that you didn`t get one last Christmas...

Oh... yeah... Strat is a yokshuman... so probably both  ! ! ! ... Cheesy

Fixes: 47

All offerings gratefully received.

On second thoughts it could be construed as bribery and detriment to my impartiality. 

It's a hard life.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Alaric returns the crate of Bolly to the cellars at Adair Towers.  We would wouldn't want to get the Mods into trouble.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Wine Snobbery for sure!

It doesn't matter how much it costs, it's the taste that counts. I've tried some expensive wines which taste like utter dog doo compared to some of the cheaper ones. It's all down to personal preference and anyone who tells you different is talking nonsense.

Having a sweet tooth I used to only drink some white wines but then I discovered a sweet red 'Mavrodaphne of Patras' which is a red Kourtaki wine, costs £5.50 - £5.75 per/bottle and it's awesome! Can't get enough of the stuff and it's won loads of awards. Gets 5 star ratings right across the board on most review sites. It's classed mainly as a 'dessert wine' but it's nice anytime if served chilled. 

kourtakimavrodaphneofpatrawindedetail.png

Minivanman
Hero

Interesting, cannot say I'd noticed Greek wines before Thumbs Up.

Always an absence of 'new world' wines when in France but then that's not surprising. All down to taste as you say but also down to the grower. We lived in Sancerre for a few years and became amazed how produce from one grower would be different from another. Used to buy ours from next door (really) for two euros a bottle and it was nothing to write home about but saw the same wine back home in Harvester I think it was for £35 a bottle!

I should cocoa Crazy2  

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

My whole point about 'wine snobbery', I'm no connoisseur of wines that's for sure but I do have good taste and that's the important bit. I'll try anything when it's offered but I haven't yet found anything as nice as Mavrodaphne. I got my neighbour hooked on it last summer but then she found another sweet red which is also quite nice, it's a Rioja but a bit more expensive at £8 per bottle so too dear for my liking.

My local Sainsbury's sells both fortunately Thumbs Up

campo-viejo-tempranillo-rioja.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The usual recommendation is to leave the wine in a decanter for a few hours before drinking it, assuming of course you can wait that long.

One newspaper claimed a cheap bottle of wine could be made to taste much better if it was put in a blender for a few minutes to force the air throught it, no idea if that is true.

I will not mention the newspaper in question as most of you will guess correctly first time.