Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see, Can't drive...

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't see, Can't drive...

Crackdown on drivers with poor eyesight launched with motorists to LOSE THEIR LICENCE if they fail to read a number plate from 20 metres.

Drivers with poor eyesight face being stripped of their licences in a police crackdown this month.

Every motorist stopped by traffic officers from three constabularies will be told to read a number plate from 20 metres.

Anyone failing will have their licence revoked on the spot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6125031/Motorists-LOSE-LICENCE-fail-read-number-plate-20-met...

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Re: Can't see, Can't drive...

Are there any rules about light and visibility conditions for conducting the test? Even then there would be subjectivity in the assessments, that make them unscientific for stripping someone of their licence.

The Mail has a slight Shocked tendency for hyperbole, so could the real process be a suspension of the licence until it's confirmed the visual defect has been corrected?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well having a license and being slightly short sighted, what are the DM on about?

I've not read the article yet, but I assumed that was an offence anyway. Crazy2

Also, when I changed my license from a paper to a card one, it has a code 01 against all the categories I can use, and you can look this up on the DVLA website.

What does a code 01 mean? You need eyesight correction - i.e. glasses or contact lenses.

(I was truthful enough to admit I have to wear glasses if I need to look at a distance).

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alex - Not every one checks their eye sight checked as often as they should and as a consequence there are people out there driving with vision no better than a mole. I assume it is these drivers that this campaign is trying to find. Here's the article from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45387965

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Fair enough @Anonymous I see what you mean.

It is very easy to overlook when you last had an appointment and years seem to come and go very quickly.

For example when the couple of times I last visited my dentist they looked up my records and they said it was 7 years ago Shocked

All was fine, but just shows you how time flies.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This sounds no more than a load of nonsense dreamed up by a few police chiefs feeling a bit left out and longing for a few newspaper headlines.

As they do nothing about all the incidents of outright dangerous driving I see every day where exactly are all the traffic cops needed going to materialise from to oversee this "crackdown"?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you wear Spectacles, you will normally be contacted every two years for an eye test, every one year if diabetic or other reason.

And I'm sure over a certain age, your optician will also check for other things, such as macular degeneration.

But of course, you have to go in the first place !

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@billnotben wrote:

This sounds no more than a load of nonsense dreamed up by a few police chiefs feeling a bit left out and longing for a few newspaper headlines.

As they do nothing about all the incidents of outright dangerous driving I see every day where exactly are all the traffic cops needed going to materialise from to oversee this "crackdown"?

Personally I think above a certain age (75?) all drivers should have their driving license revoked.

And have to pass a practical driving test before it was reinstated.

We had a relative who we would not be a passenger in their car, but he wouldn't accept he appeared to not be medically fit to drive.

In the end, he had a bad car accident, and decided to give up driving.

Highlighted
Fixes: 394

Of all the hair-brained schemes they come up to punish the motorist this one does seem to make some sense.

But I am wondering if it would mainly be the elderly who fail to get their eyes tested regularly either thinking everything is OK (it's been like this for years) or not wishing to admit they are getting old?

I get the regular 2 year reminders as my dad had glaucoma. So far, at the last few tests, one eye has slightly improved the other has slightly got worse.

What I couldn't find is will the revoked licence be re-instated once there is proof that the sight has been corrected or will a re-test be required. Will there be a fine ? Rhetorical question the last oneCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I am all for drivers having their eye sight tested at regular intervals but in addition to the issues raised by @Luzern where are all the police coming from to do these checks ?

In one of todays papers it is reported that there has been a drastic decrease in the number of police officers.....how many do you actually see on the roads today unless there has been a accident ?

In the past month doing both motorway and local driving I have only seen one police car.

The suggestion by @Anonymous that all motorists over 75 should take a test is utter nonsense, if the elderly were such a risk how is it the young have to pay the highest level of car insurance ?

Better idea might be to ban anyone under 60 that way the young would be forced to get more exercise whilst reducing the number of cars on the road.

Grin

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@gleneagles Hmm,could there be other reasons other than lack of police to drive them for

n the past month doing both motorway and local driving I have only seen one police car?Grin 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Anonymous Quote..

Personally I think above a certain age (75?) all drivers should have their driving license revoked.

And have to pass a practical driving test before it was reinstated.

As a licenced coach driver, pushing 74, I have to pass a medical annually to renew that licence, this includes an eye test for which I have excellent 6x6 vision (admittedly with my glasses on, rather less without them, but still just able to read a number plate at the required distance) better than some half my age.

Just consider if you will, when you reach that venerable age, god willing in good health and of good eyesight, you might just regret you said that.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Mention Tag fixed.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

So you think blind people can't drive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9l6npvwZY&pbjreload=10

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Crackdown on drivers with poor eyesight launched with motorists to LOSE THEIR LICENCE if they fail to read a number plate from 20 metres.

Drivers with poor eyesight face being stripped of their licences in a police crackdown this month.

Every motorist stopped by traffic officers from three constabularies will be told to read a number plate from 20 metres.

Anyone failing will have their licence revoked on the spot.

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 15.38.49.jpg

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Today as I watched a police woman drive by on a busy high street, head tilted back as she struggled to drink from a full size fruit juice carton, was that not only do the police fail to police their own but how arrogant some of them are.

I have no doubt that if the police applied the high ideals that they apply to other drivers to themselves, the already small number of police cars on the road would be reduced a lot more.

Certain jobs attract certain people. Time was the police force attracted those who wanted to serve and do good but lately I see more who just want to lord it over the public. Even the few beat police I see it's a struggle to get a civil response to a straight hello or good morning from them.

We still need more (or at least some) police on the streets. But things need to change. Everyone used to know the local friendly copper and he knew everyone else. Now they are just blank faces working in police offices.