cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay, we'll take it away

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't pay, we'll take it away

Watched a program on Channel 5 last night, 9pm, Can't pay we'll take it away.
Not something I would normally watch as the outcome is predictable and after the break they just repeat a part of what they already told you in the previous part.
One case was a couple of sheriffs from the local court (not to be confused with bailiff's) who have a right to force entry into a property and insist that people leave immediately but being on the generous side they allowed 2 hours for you to get all your stuff out.
So they forced entry into this house which the owner had a 30% investment in and a Housing Association the other 70% . A short time later the owner turned up and after the usual verbal exchanges was told he would have to get out straight away. He owed £30,000 and the people who had taken action against him was the inland revenue.
At this point I am thinking well if he owes that much then he deserves all he gets but one of the sheriffs looks at a photograph of the guy who is in army uniform and it turns out he spent 17 years in the Royal Signals which included action in the Falklands and tours in Northern Ireland. He reached the position of Sergeant.
He was currently working as a Taxi driver and his current pay varied from week to week. Added to his troubles was a chronic chest problem and it was clear he had some difficulty  getting his breath. Anyway out he goes in 2 hours with a kindly next door neighbour offering him and his wife some temporary accommodation along with his personal property.
The program visited him a month later and social services had found him and his wife a 1 bedroom flat which looked fairly cramped and he now had the additional problem that the debt had doubled as not only had he to pay rent on his current accommodation but also rent to the housing association even though he was no longer in the property. Amazingly he was still working for the taxi company but admitted that his marriage was under considerable strain.
So from watching a program where I though here is someone who deserves it I ended up thinking just the opposite as despite this chaps contribution to society he has ended up in a position that is highly unlikely to improve in the short term and indeed more likely to get even worse.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Can't pay, we'll take it away

I saw the programme and also had sympathy for the individual.  I think, however, he had had 3 years to sort the situation out.
If he wasn't paying his rent the housing association really didn't have any other option.
This was the only person on the programme I had any sympathy with.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

England = dog eat dog society, No loyalty required.
Also as I understood it, sheriffs could only act against businesses not private indivduals? - That was the case last time I looked into their activities.
As always though, when you're in the **** it's not that you can't pay, it's a case that you won't pay. Thats how dysfunctional britain works, it makes up allegations against others that are nothing but nonsense in order to strengthen one sides argument against another.
It doesn't have to be like this..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Powers of sheriff officers
Sheriff officers are officers of the court who are employed by firms of sheriff officers or they are self-employed. They accept instructions from:
    individuals
    companies
    solicitors
    local authorities
    government departments.
They enforce court orders. The court orders that they serve on you can be for:
    eviction
    debt enforcement
    property disputes
    family matters such as adoption or divorce.[/quote
Devonian
Grafter

His problem was being English.
If he wasn't then he would have been left well alone.
Community Veteran

Like the one who wasn't English do you mean?
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Powers of sheriff officers
Sheriff officers are officers of the court who are employed by firms of sheriff officers or they are self-employed. They accept instructions from:
    individuals
    companies
    solicitors
    local authorities
    government departments.
They enforce court orders. The court orders that they serve on you can be for:
    eviction
    debt enforcement
    property disputes
    family matters such as adoption or divorce.[/quote

and there was me thinking they rode round on horses shooting their guns up in the air or swinging a loop of rope round and throwing it over the criminals Cheesy
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
Community Veteran

They came across as being a very professional pair of individuals.
Community Veteran

In fairness most people in most trades (liked or not) come across as respectable - especially in front of the TV cameras.
What they're like without the cameras however... remember it takes a 'special quality' to go into a job ruining other peoples lives..
Devonian
Grafter

I was watching Police Interceptors on 5 last night.
There was a scene, a Volvo travelling down the inside of a slip road about to join the motorway, an unmarked police car was following on the outside lane.
Just as the 2 lanes were merging into 1, where it joins the motorway, the police officer accelerated to pass the Volvo, cutting him up, and potentially causing an accident.
As the lanes had merged into the one, the Volvo driver noticed the police officer about to overtake, so he moved out to the centre of the lane to stop him passing, and flicked a hand shandy at PC Plod.
Granted that wasn't a clever move, but a well deserved one.
The Police Officer then pulled over the Volvo driver, spoke to him like a child, lectured him on the state of his poor driving, and said he would send him a summons for driving with out due care, and for public indecency.
Yet when the Volvo driver tried to tell him about his poor driving, the officer got very aggressive and shouted him down.
All of this in front of the camera... imagine what he is like with no cameras around!  
PitchBlack
Grafter

They really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for TV programmes these days.
Devonian
Grafter

It's because they are funding a million other channels to!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I saw the programme and also had sympathy for the individual.  I think, however, he had had 3 years to sort the situation out.
If he wasn't paying his rent the housing association really didn't have any other option.
This was the only person on the programme I had any sympathy with.

He was paying his rent. It was the inland revenue that made him bankrupt and the receiver that was selling the house to pay the debts. But is 30% of a house very saleable?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like more and more people these days he would be classed as self employed and thus running a one man business.
If he had been unemployed on the dole or long term sick I guess they would have left him alone.
I Didn't see him with a can of Lager or a fag in his hand.
Community Veteran

One has sympathy for the taxi driver.  What about the individual who was granted a 6 month lease on a house and then refused to leave?  When the owner got his property back it was in a poor state and required thousands of pounds spending on it.
The other case I recall is the individual who used his car as security on a loan and then didn't pay the loan. The car was eventually repossessed but only after he had damaged it. he was arrested for the damage caused.
These were 2 cases where the bailiffs/sheriffs did a good job.