Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can coffee bring a plane down ?

198kHz
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 15

Re: Can coffee bring a plane down ?

Line of sight is pretty good at 35000 ft !

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Blimey @198kHz I had to think about that one but no good, I just had to check with Auntie Wiki and she came back with this;

"However, at frequencies above 30 MHz (VHF and higher) and in lower levels of the atmosphere, neither of these effects are significant. Thus, any obstruction between the transmitting antenna (transmitter) and the receiving antenna (receiver) will block the signal, just like the light that the eye may sense. Therefore, since the ability to visually see a transmitting antenna (disregarding the limitations of the eye's resolution) roughly corresponds to the ability to receive a radio signal from it, the propagation characteristic at these frequencies is called "line-of-sight". The farthest possible point of propagation is referred to as the "radio horizon".

All way over my head I'm afraid. Tongue

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman 

That probably means that getting it to work inside an aluminium tube at any altitude would be impossible.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman  Yes indeedy.... VHF is "generally" considered to be "line of sight" communications... however... at sea, that would be in the region of ( say ) 5 miles... depending on the height of your antenna on the mast, and the location of the receiving station`s antenna.

For an aircraft that has lost its main VHF comms , it could be effective at much greater distances... e.g. at 36,000 feet..   about 7 miles high... the distance of line of sight communication could be up to 30 to 40 miles from air to ground... and certainly would be well within range coming into an airfield for landing instructions, etc, at (say) 7,000 feet or less, would be adequate...  Bear in mind, that your "hand held" would be battery powered, and the "secondary" VHF (handheld) could be plugged in to the aircraft power supply and use the aircraft antenna...

thus improving the range from the normal handheld operations.

Fixes: 337

@wotsup wrote:

This makes a mocha-ry  of the control panel design...  This could be 'grounds' to sue the plane maker. 

I bet this story caused quite a stir with many feeling right mugsSmiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Seem to recall a black and white 'true story' movie/book from way back where they had to reconstruct what caused a long haul prop plane to crash on it's way to Nova Scotia I think it was, and where they got the crew to do exactly what they did on the flight and yep, somebody brought a drink onto the flight deck and they were made to put it down in eactly the same place... and on over it went.

The investigators on board all survived as they were sort of ready for it, but it was a close call. 

Lesson learned? Obviosly not in this case.  

PS. Not so far back, not a prop plane and maybe not a true story.... but it was in black and white!

McBane is disheartened that he was not able to solve the mystery of the identical second engine failure, when he notices the pilot's coffee cup on the console had spilled during the turbulence of the first engine shut-down. He opens the console's access panel and finds that coffee had seeped through the seams, shorting out the wiring of the warning system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_Is_the_Hunter_(film)

Community Veteran

Maybe, just maybe, it might be smart for the malechickenpit designers to have a little walled container, slightly taller than an average cup supplied on the plane, into which there would be cup holder indentations, and thus the crew can stow their beverages in this container, and if they're knocked, bumped or shaken by turbulence, any spillage would be contained within said walled container... Grin

Or am I just being too logical? Funny

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@twocvbloke 

Cockpit works as long as you don't hyphenate itWink

Community Veteran

Oh I know, but in this day and age, you never know if someone's going to be offended by the word cockpit, as they might assume it refers to male genitalia and therefore is sexist and must be offended by it... Crazy

Plus it's fun taking the weewee out of swear filters... Funny

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

And in a sense cockpit could be construed as the exact opposite of the banned word. Wink Cheesy

Community Veteran

I wonder how many men have been assaulted by their partners for referring to the lower-decks lady component as the cockpit......... Funny