cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recomend an energy provider thats decent and cheap :)

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Can anyone recomend an energy provider thats decent and cheap :)

Im thinking of trying First utility ... anyone with them ? are they any good ?

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
29 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Anyone Affected...

Just been on uSwitch as my current contract with First:Utility is coming to an end.

My last customer reading was 14 months ago and just submitted a customer reading now which was lower for both recent estimates for gas and electricity.

Apparently I can save over £400 with Affect and £387 with Avro neither of which I have heard of before. There may be better deals with cash back offers to look into but am wondering if there are any other recommendations?

Average use for Electricity and gas over the last 12 months is 5400 kWh and 7800 kWh respectively.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Re: Anyone Affected...

Look at using separate suppliers for gas and electricity. This has been the cheapest way for the past 2 years for my usage (e 4400kWh, G 7000kWh)

Also the savings on uSwitch will probably be based upon the OFGEM approved technique of using your fix price until it finishes and then the supplier's standard rate for the rest of the 12 month period.

So you may not really save that much.

Look at how much you pay now and how much the new tariff will be. Then work out the savings if any. Prices have been rising for the past few months so new deals are likely to be more expensive if you had a good deal from last year.

And always use real kWh for the switching sites, never enter a monetary amount.

stoswald
Grafter

I swapped to a better deal with First Utility from my previous 2 yr fixed deal when that ended  My new my dual fuel monthly payment came down from £65 to £48

Sometimes it pays to remain!

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

I've swapped both tariffs in the past month, stayed with Eon for electricity on a new collective deal and went to Flow on a deal which is no longer advertised. If I swapped today and picked the cheapest deal available then

1. dual fuels would be £35 more expensive per annum
  2. electricity would be £11 cheaper a year
  3. gas would be £20 more expensive

Only 3 electricity providers can offer any savings and as I have a £30 exit fee on Eon, I'm not moving it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Also the savings on uSwitch will probably be based upon the OFGEM approved technique of using your fix price until it finishes and then the supplier's standard rate for the rest of the 12 month period.

Yes, I've noticed that technique being used by my supplier as well!. I'm currently on an April 2017 fix and noticed on my recent bill that I can 'save' £64 by switching to their current July 2017 fixed tariff. When I look at the details of the July tariff it's actually more expensive than my current one so how can I save ? Only if they are calculating on the basis of the next 12 months with 3 months at the SVR tariff! Very sneaky...

Fixes: 102

Seen the same with Scottish Power
Will Moderate For Thanks
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

Re: Can anyone recomend an energy provider thats decent and cheap :)

Check at  https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/  for unbiased information. Energy prices vary by usage and geography so what's good for me, may not be for you.

And compared using your real energy kWh which you can get from your current supplier(s).

And for feedback about the individual company, look at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Depends on too many factors.
What is cheap for me may be dear for you, or vice versa.

Have a look on MSE, comparison sites etc. I switched via the post code lottery deal. Now with Npower, seem OK but I haven't had to contact them or change anything yet. Was with First Util they were good till they changed there terms earlier this year and introduced charges for what was previously free. That's when I moved.

Just seen you changed your post. I wouldn't recommend FU for the reasons above. It used to be free to move from one tariff to a longer one but now they charge for it (upto £60).

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

First Utility has upset a lot of customers, their initials seem to suggest their attitude to customers. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415653

St3
All Star

Theres 2 suppliers who can save me £200 a year compared to what im on now, that is evo and GB ... just not sure who to try.. :S

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

I renewed with First Utility in April. I get excellent service from them. Can't complain. I initially signed with them through 'The Big Deal'.

They recently installed a smart meter for me. This was for electricity only. The gas smart meter isn't available until the end of the year. I assume I will still have to provide my gas reading to them but this is done easily on line.

St3
All Star

This provider is offering me the best deal, (so.energy) can anyone recomend them ?

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Never heard of them before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

neither have I and the reviews on Trust Pilot are rather good but since they have only been going since Nov last year I would be wary https://www.theenergyshop.com/HomeEnergy/advice-suppliers-so-energy and this could get expensive unless you switch in late Spring

However, if you are thinking of switching to So Energy, be aware of your first direct debit is taken on the day you come only supply and you are required to always maintain a positive credit balance in your account.