cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone provide an answer to this question please?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Can anyone provide an answer to this question please?

I have a Titanium ring (no seriously, walk away from the obvious) and this morning while washing my coffee cup (glass) I left a mark on it (yes, I know, a skid mark from my ring!) but for the life of me I can’t get it off.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can remove this mark?

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Can anyone provide an answer to this question please?

A while back, I asked about cleaning silicone spray polish from the inside of a windscreen... and was advised to try using wire wool.... 

Ooops... No thanks,...said I.... then was pointed to several videos on youtube... where the guy uses 0000 grade wire wool, and that removed the crud from the inside, without leaving scratches...

Still haven`t done it... ( cos I never got the car valeted! ! !)... but it may be the answer for your scratch on the glass cup...

ffox
Rising Star

A china rubber might do the job.      https://tinyurl.com/mxgoxop

Community Veteran

@shutter, never even thought about that, great idea and I happen to have some of the 0000 grade wool, and if that doesn't work I will try the China rubber as suggested by @ffox.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Try soaking it first in a light detergent first for a few minutes.

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.... see what I did there? Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Well I've tried the wire wool and that made no difference it was like using cotton wool, here's an image of the cup, where you can see the mark.

If wire wool doesn't move this I doubt the china rubber will, but worth a punt I guess. These cups are £8 each so I want to try and get it clean.

Community Veteran

Got any ceramic hob cleaner? That will fix it. If not, try a very mild kitchen cleaner like a so-called cream cleaner,  which contains a suspension of mild abrasive like Vim.

Failing that some chrome cleaner or similar (like Solvol).

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

You could try a magic sponge I've used them for getting a lot marks off things without damaging surfaces.

Community Veteran

I don't have ceramic hob cleaner but I do have stuff called Astonish and a thing what I think is a magic sponge under the sink, so that's a job for tomorrow.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mook try the whole lot ! ! ...

Community Veteran

I think I'm going to have to, I can live with it but when I see it it just winds me up.

Community Veteran

I suppose you have already thought of using the ring to mark junk pieces of glass so you're free to try out all sorts of noxious substances on them.

I bought an old mobile that was described as titanium. Initially disappointed when it was really just the colour of the plastic. Of course if it was metal it wouldn't have helped the signal.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Picture ain't clear enough to determine the damage properly, but it kind of looks like a crack to me...

But that said, the glass probably has been scratched, and you'll probably need to have to professionally ground & polished to get rid of it, or just live with it, or buy another... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

ffox wrote:

A china rubber might do the job.      https://tinyurl.com/mxgoxop

Good lord, a skid mark on Mooks titanium ring is one thing but a rubber made from china? whatever next! Cheesy

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mook wrote:

Well I've tried the wire wool and that made no difference it was like using cotton wool, here's an image of the cup, where you can see the mark.

If wire wool doesn't move this I doubt the china rubber will, but worth a punt I guess. These cups are £8 each so I want to try and get it clean.

Well that was a crafty plug for plusnet wasn't it.

Seeing as you've just given them some free advertising maybe they'd chip in a few quid towards a new one Cool smiley

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!