cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone identify this phone code location?

IanSn
Grafter

Can anyone identify this phone code location?

odd SMS arrived at 07:50 today
It says I've won a prize....
001323 #### ###
I can't work out where it came from.
Anyone good at code locations?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Can anyone identify this phone code location?

The online BT phone book usually has them..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

001 is international to the USA
GrahamC
Grafter

Try this
http://800notes.com/AreaCode.aspx/1-323
323 area code
IanSn
Grafter

Scam Alert
Thanks everyone, California it was.
The message said it was from Apple - my number had been selected to win a prize. Contained an Apple web address and a code to enter.
Obviously didn't go there.
Called Apple, they know about it. Lots of calls already today.
Now I'm thinking, how did they get my number?.....
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Most likely just guessed it. They don't need to work out *your* number, just *a* number.
Mathew
David_W
Rising Star

There is a known exploit with iPhones and SMS messages (particular to certain networks I think) where it doesn't display the number but instead displays a name.  Apparently (this is from memory so it may be incorrect somewhat but pretty correct probably) SMS has a bit of a header which most networks/phones don't actually use (especially here in the UK although Orange does) and in that header you can put in the name of who sent the message, or indeed fake it.  So if you had been in the US and got that SMS it's likely that the "sender" would be seen as "Apple" rather than "phone number".
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It's not just iPhones, but rather any mobile/smartphone.
I use a web-based SMS gateway to enable the sending of messages from automated scripts on my servers, e.g. to alert me of unplanned reboots etc, and with that I can specify what I want to appear in the sender/ID field of the message. It is free text hence I tend to put the server name and no number whatsoever and that's how it appears to the recipient. There's no verification perfomed so it feasible to put someone else's number in instead if so desired.
Mathew
prichardson
Grafter

This is nothing new.
Some 7 years ago, there was a Plusnet SMS service for Service Status (it didn't take off, hence why it is not here today).
With this, there were a number of things you could do with SMS, from sending the older style Nokia ring tones, address book vcards and WAP push notifications. You could also send from any number you wanted (not any more, this was abused with the service I was on so they changed the policy, but also from a name of upto 12 characters, from which no number at all was included in the SMS header.
Another little known feature that still exists and I am not sure if supported in many modern phones is a SMS flash message. This is a message that can be sent and will popup on the phones display without having to unlock the device. Older Vodafone PAYG customers may recognise this, as they used it to send you an SMS with your remaining balance following a call and make is display right away without intervention.
David_W
Rising Star

Indeed, I stand corrected.  I found the article I was thinking about and then read the comments, it's all to do with the User Data Header so if you have the time and the inclination you can spoof the number you're sending from.  Next up text messages:
Text: Your house is on fire!
Text: Your telephone number is <number>
Text: Telephone number, 1 4 7 1, texted you today at 6 : 12 PM
Text: We're watching you... (okay, that one would spook me, I'm so going to try that with my nieces phone  Crazy )
Text: Just a quick message to say I'm thinking of you.
Text: u have $10000000 waitin 4 u. rply wiv name, age, bank#, sortcode thx
So much room for mischief, unfortunately I'm too lazy to do any of that.