cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Help Me PLease To Eradicate Discrimination

thisoldman
Grafter

Can You Help Me PLease To Eradicate Discrimination

I am unsure if this is the right place or medium to ask for help but if any of you are or have experienced the problem I am having with internet based, shopping, banking, services companies, please feel free to contact me as soon as possible via the message system.
I am deaf and use the Typetalk telephone service., which means that to telephone or contact me you need to input the prefix 18002 before my phone number.
On all, except BT, company web sites, be it, shopping or banking or whatever, the customer phone number box is too small to incorporate the prefix 18002. Most companies will not proceed with your order without a phonenumber.
I have spent the past few years complaining to these companies and only BT has complied, by making the box larger.
Calls to OFFCOM and individual internet based companies have so far fallen on "deaf ears".  What makes matter worse is that the vast majority of companies claim never to have heard of Typetalk or Textrelay and , those who have, cant be bothered to alter the size of the box to accommodate the needs of deaf people.
Hallelujah!   The Equalityandhumanrights  Commission have finally bought my simple argument, that the failure to make the box larger is a simple matter of discrimination.
This is where you enter the picture. The EHRC would be very interested in learning if any other person  ( thousands to the best of my knowledge) have had my experience and how wide spread the problem is.
If you have or know of anyone else who has experienced this problem , could you please let me know via the plusnet message facility and i will pass on the details in strict confidence to the EHRC.
All I can say at the moment is that the EHRC are likely to bring a test case against a major hight street bank and a consumer shopping provider
So if you can help in any way to eradicate discrimination on the internet please contact me at your convenience.
thank you..
2 REPLIES
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Can You Help Me PLease To Eradicate Discrimination

just think: as a plus net member you could be part of an internet web page design revolution.
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Can You Help Me PLease To Eradicate Discrimination

It doesn't affect me as my hearing is fine, but well done for doing this anyway!