cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my ZX Spectrum with PlusNet Broadband ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Can I use my ZX Spectrum with PlusNet Broadband ?

Interesting Article, for those of us that used to own one of these, wish I'd kept mine now !
(I had a ZX80 too !)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17776666

17 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Can I use my ZX Spectrum with PlusNet Broadband ?

ZX80 was a pile of junk which I gave away after a week so was not interested in the ZX81
It seemed the best way to overcome that promotional advantage was to undercut the BBC Micro's £299/£399 charge - and the strategy worked.

£300 30 years ago was a lot of money. It goes to show how cheap computers are today. Believe the first PC I used in the early 80's cost well over £1000 had no hard-drive and only 64k of RAM and a monochrome display.
Fixes: 47

The ZX81 lead me into computing Cool.........which probably explains my current level of computing knowledge Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I bought the Acorn Atom kit, reason being it was a) cheaper and b) had a proper keyboard  Wink Still got it in the attic  Crazy Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This was my first computer and I even wrote software including games for it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Fixes: 47

I still have my ZX81 complete with ram pack.
I spent weeks writing a program to work using data from the National Lottery.
Every week I would key in the winning numbers and it would tell me the most popular combinations since the lottery started.
Various subroutines did other things like offering me a set of numbers to play in the hope of winning.....I never did Sad
The ZX81 nearly had my foot on it numerous times because of this failing...
If you had an extension pack you had to hold it in place with Blu-Tack, because if it wobbled a bit you'd lose everything.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Looking at the pictures I know realise that I had the ZX81, still a pile of junk that I only had for a week.
Brought the 16k Memory pack and beside the fact that it kept losing electrical connection I phoned Sinclair Research complaining that the memory pack was not 16k but only 15k. Their response was that they did not specify the pack was 16k but was only called 16k, which was true.  Angry 
Infinity
Pro

There's homage to the ZX Spectrum today on Google, along with George & the Dragon, in old style graphics, for St. Georges Day today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/23/zx-spectrum-st-georges-day?newsfeed=true
I created software for the Spectrum, and sold it too.
Just about made enough to pay for a 40 ft yacht, oops, I meant pay for the Spectrum !
Infinity
Pro

Fixes: 125

Having tried a friend's Spectrum I found it awkward to use/program and didn't like the keyboard at all.
Bought a BBC B+128 which I found easier to program and the graphics seemed much better.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I had an MSX  I loved playing 'Manic Miner' On It. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I dunno about that but I had an Atari ST (about 10 years out of date at the time but hey ho):

It had a whopping 1/2Mb of ram and the best games or software you could hope for was the free/shareware stuff on the front cover of STFormat (everything else was too expensive and frankly the Atari was dying a slow death anyway).
Weirdly I remember when studying microcontrollers moons ago that the processor was actually very popular for micro controller based systems even if it wasn't as a computer.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I still have a working Amstrad NC100 and an Oric Atmos
The Amstrad NC100 was an A4-size, portable Z80-based[1] computer, released by Amstrad in 1992. It featured 64 KB of RAM, the Protext word processor, various organiser-like facilities (diary, address book and time manager), a simple calculator, and a version of BBC BASIC.
Its screen was small, eight rows by 80 columns, and not backlit, but this let the NC100 run for up to 20 hours on four standard AA cell batteries. There was an RS232 serial port, a parallel port for connecting a printer, and a PC card socket, by means of which the computer's memory could be expanded up to 1 MB.
pin2011
Grafter

Nostalgia!
My first encounter with the computer was the RM 380Z. Monochrome monitor and a box of electronics. The main mother board
allowed for expansion slots to accommodate numerous add ons the main one was a AD/DA board which enabled connection to
many other analogue instruments.  The programming language was a version of BASIC but we could also program the computer
in low level machine code. I learned a lot from this computer and forgotten nearly all of it.