cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect 2 TV aerials together to pick up 2 different transmiters ??

TORPC
Grafter

Can I connect 2 TV aerials together to pick up 2 different transmiters ??

is it that straight forward or do I need a separator type splitter like in the days of analogue
Current aerial set towards the West Transmitter on a wall that faces the wrong way to reset the aerial to the Welsh Transmitter
A now spare aerial that faces the Welsh Transmitter has become available to us if we want to make use of it, & would need to extend or renew the coax to reach the aerial socket on the wall.
Before going to any expense
Is this achievable
If so what are the best options t make this a success, as we are so fed up of missing the Welsh channels esp the Welsh news (not so much myself) I must add
On test
I have added several coaxial fly leads & it works independently & we get more channels, albeit at a weak signal on some of the channels IE; ITV (either all the joins x 3 may have that impact) or the original coax may need renewing or the aerial resetting) not sure as yet
Tested on a retuned built in freeview on TV
&
i-can freeview box
When joined via a I only get the West
Is there something I am inadvertently overlooking 
16 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Can I connect 2 TV aerials together to pick up 2 different transmiters ??

It should be possible, but there can be problems.  Probably way off topic for this forum? 
The real expertise to give you best advice can be found on Usenet  uk.tech.digital-tv  quite a friendly and knowledgeable bunch will give you chapter and verse.
Maurice
Community Veteran

Depends on the frequencies - what are the transmitter stations? http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php
Some Freeview boxes will not like multiple transmitters.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers MauriceC
I do not user Usenet (so no use to me) sorry
Cheers AndyH
Not sure if the inbuilt TV accepts multiple transmitters
The i-can freeview box can, as it shows a page where I could choose my preferred transmitter if more than one connected
Your Freeview masts:
    • Stockland Hill
    • Pontypool
    • Mendip

Free RF: C41 C42
Pontypool is the closest yet the weakest (albeit on top of the mountain0
Mendip is the current connected transmitter & the strongest
Never connected to Stockland Hill (do not even know if I could pick it up)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

i would suggest you use a coax switch box.... two aerials in > switch pos 1  Welsh TV.... Switch pos 2 English TV.
something like this......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-ANTENNA-SWITCH-1000-watts-ham-cb-LPFM-Radio-mfj-coax-antenna-box-radio-...
TORPC
Grafter

Hey Guys
I just got reminded to inform you all, that we have one of these on the wall hope that helps
Cheers shutter
Especially for the idea
Could I possibly get away with a much cheaper & from the UK

RF Coaxial 2 Female to 1 Male Aerial TV Switch Splitter
or
Aerial switch A B

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

dunno if there still available but in the past you could get y splitter units, all you do is swap it wound so its 2 x input and 1 x output ......
edit:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=coax+y+splitter&tbm=shop&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p here's some

a lot simpler to fit to whatever wires you use
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

When the UK changed from 405 line VHF to 625 line UHF practically everyone had two aerials on their roof (you still see the odd VHF aerial) so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Not a great idea, you can pick up all kinds of interference and delayed/ghost signals and your Freeview box may spit its dummy out if it is receiving overlapping multiplexes. Often they pick up duplicate channels of everything and it will drive you nuts trying to filter through them.
Nothing to be lost by trying it though if you have all the kit handy.
itsme
Grafter

Thought that digital have the advantage that ghosting and interference were a thing of the past and adjacent transmitters could use the same channel for the same TV channel which could not happen with analogue transmissions.
Community Veteran

You need a diplexer.
**If you are trying to receive Mendip and Pontypool transmitters ** then this should be what you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triax-TFC-3537-Grouped-A-E-Aerial-Combiner-Diplexer-/220711755829
Community Veteran

That's a mast head box. The OP has aerials on two different places on the building so the combiner is going to be a distance from both aerials and probably indoors so he won't need a weather proof box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Thought that digital have the advantage that ghosting and interference were a thing of the past

Picture ghosting is a thing of the past, signal ghosting (or signal reflection) is still pretty prevalent and while many decent aerials which are Digital compatible are directional enough to avoid this, combining two signals may well introduce a weak reflected signal onto the main signal which can result in signal errors.
The DVB system is pretty robust to be honest with you - all of the programs/channels are transmitted on just 5 (6 if you include HD) of the old analogue frequencies. Each frequency is referred to as a transport stream and the programs are all multiplexed into these streams. This enables neighbouring transmitters to use different frequencies and lower powered transmitters so you avoid interference between adjacent transmitters.
Interference is still prevalent though and even leaving the cover off your PC can introduce enough noise to kill a whole transport stream - believe me, it happened to me and I spent weeks trying to work out what had happened.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

doesn't adding a diode to the coax prevent the reflections though ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
When the UK changed from 405 line VHF to 625 line UHF practically everyone had two aerials on their roof (you still see the odd VHF aerial) so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

But you still had switch aerials to watch BBC2. You didn't have both aerials connected into the TV - well, at least we didn't in 1968/9. We always had to switch aerials to watch beeb2!
If there was splitters about then, our local TV shop didn't know of them!
Geoff,
York.